buzz

Hi
Today I received a Pegasus set.
I am very impressed with the set just being able to get a HO loco that small
to work is pretty impressive.
And coming with nickle silver track even better
But I am also disappointed as well.
The source of that disappointment is the coupling on the Loco and coaches
it looks very prototypical but looks very fragile and is not compatible with other Bachmann stock
How would I go about fitting knuckles to it to have that compatibility.
Reading the box I wonder if it would be worth doing a UK version of the set
after all the loco is already made all it would need is a set of UK freight stock of that period just to make the set different Oh and a different box.
I was unaware Norris locomotives had been exported to the UK
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

BaltoOhioRRfan

I wouldn't recommend switching them over to knuckles, the locomotive probably can barely pull the three cars with the set(The Layfayette loco can only pull 2 of the 3 coaches it came with, the locos are the same if i recall correctly).
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

petdrus

Hey there John, the Pegasus dates back to around the 1830's, just before the great industrial revolution kicked in. What you have there will become a true collectors item, therefor not ment to match any other stock, and certainly no freight. Do not even try and alter it, and a must... Keep the orignal box and paperwork that came with it, otherwise, as a collector item, it will de-value.  Please... do not change anything... but do enjoy.  Peter

ebtnut

Echoing Peter's note, the era represented by the Pegasus was well before knuckle couplers were invented.  I would keep the set for what it is, a representation of the dawn era of American railroading.  I've been tempted to buy one of the sets just for that reason even though I haven't really been in HO for years.  The loco is also a model the Lafayette, the reproduction loco built by the B&O RR for the Fair of the Iron Horse in 1927 and now in the B&O Museum in Baltimore.  This engine has been operated in the recent past on special occasions.  I believe right now it is in the shop for overhaul.  It also was used in the old Disney movie, The Great Locomotive Chase, as the "Yonah". 

Johnson Bar Jeff

Years ago I bought the "John Bull" and one coach just for its "historical interest." Never did get around to buying the "Lafayette."  :-\

BaltoOhioRRfan

I've got all three with plans on getting the Pegasus.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

buzz

Hi all
Thanks for the information and tips.
I always keep the boxes things come in not to preserve any perceived collectors value but to protect the trains when not in use.
My pet hate is collectors they buy the trains inflate the second hand value.
and don't use them.
Collectors don't like me because I will get that collectible if it is of use fit modern wheels destroying its perceived cash value so it can be used.
As an example I have a Triang loco collectors value for original condition
$200 Au value of mine a reasonable value of $75 Au a far more reasonable value and it can be used because it has modern wheels fitted.
I also realize Pegasus is a pre Knuckle locomotive, but have trouble with the idea any manufacturer would make a train that doesn't have the same coupling as the rest of their product modern unit trains excepted.
I had visions of maybe doing something similar to an old movie
having an old loco pulling a depressed center car with a coach body of the locos time period on it and a 4wh caboose as a revenue service.
would not be allowed these days but thought it might be a fun project
to try the loco is the right period .
Oh well looks like that service will be the train as manufactured, doesn't stop me being impressed that such a small HO loco actually moves
when the controler knob is turned.
Its a very nice model in its own right as well
regards John

BaltoOhioRRfan

the De Witt Clinton is even smaller....

The whole train fits on 9 inches of track.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan

petdrus

Ha Ha, a downunder man that shares my view on collectors. Onya mate, could show them some knuckles!!! Seriously though, don't change Pegasus, but do enjoy. When I got my "City OF Truro" produced by Bachmann exclusively for the NRM, York, UK I could not get it out of the box quick enough and play. Yet this is a true collector item and now has a greatly inflated price tag, around $550Au, and thats if you can get one. Truro, being a 4-4-0 however, could not run with a large train, so I "chipped" her and an old Hornby (Oh forbid that name!) GWR railcar and run them as a consist with 7 cars of the vintage now portrayed by the NRM. Trust me, it works, but one will have to add weight to the cars should one run the consist at the rear of the train. Enjoy mate. Peter.

buzz

Hi petdrus
You must be referring to the real Hornby trains :) ;) ;D the two rail ones just before Triang took them over?? don't know who runs the show now.
yes I will enjoy the train.
The Dewitt Clinton looks rather interesting as well and that will have its own couplings given its even smaller size does any one do a Grass Hopper
loco.
Can any one tell me which Model Railroader or other model train mags had the articles on making stock of the era in question.
Then it might be worth a look in the AMRA library next time I am in the big smoke.
regards John