News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dream locomotives we would like to see

Started by jdmike, November 02, 2010, 07:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdmike

My vote for dream motive power to see in On30 goes as follows, EBT 2-8-2's, Westside 3 truck shay, Westside #2 Heisler ( an excellent choice instead of some unknown prototype) and the Unitah 2-6-6-2 Tank Mallet.    Small power is nice, but how about some larger prototypes like the Shay and the 2-8-2's of the EBT. I really wonder if the 2-8-2 isnt on the book for future production, seeing all the EBT rolling stock that has been made over the years.   Cheers  Mike

Royce Wilson

How about just update the mogul to DCC and sound and add a C&S butterfly snow plow....WOW!!!!

Royce

CalgaryOn30guy

I agree with Royce. Why not a DCC & sound Mogul?

kcsivils1

Any of the Argent Lumber Co. locomotives. The 2-8-0s are large for the Argent operation but small by most standards.

Argent #6 still operates at the Mid-west Central and served on several other railroads during its lifetime.

Better yet, the Argent never lettered any of its equipment, it only numbered the locomotives so no lettering to remove if you have your own private line.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Obviously,  by my screen name you know that I would LOVE to see any of the the EBT engines,  including the 2-6-2, #11.   But if Bachmann were to do and upgrade of the mogul,  then one thing they would have to do is find a way to put some weight in that engine.   The 2-8-0s and 4-6-0s have sufficient weight to pull 15 car trains up my On30 grade,  which at time is a bit over 3%.   The 2-6-6-2 is a bit lighter but still manages about 10 cars up that grade.   The 2-6-0 would not pull the three car passenger train it originally came with up that grade.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

mmiller

since we are dreaming...

a larger 4-4-0

a smaller 4-6-0

and an 'uneven' 4-6-0
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

lvrr325

Since Bachmann seems to prefer somewhat obscure Baldwin catalog locomotives, how about Catskill & Tannersville 2nd #1 and #2?  (some sources say there was only one #2).  These outside frame 3-foot gauge 2-6-0s were built in 1901, served until 1919 when the road was abandoned, then sold via a dealer to the Milwaukee Road's Bellevue & Cascade narrow gauge in 1926.  As delivered they had a wood cab, the C&T later added a fireman's shelter to the tender (a-la many camelbacks, just a metal canopy), then were rebuilt with a steel cab, new pilot and headlght among other changes for the Milwaukee.  Plenty of photos of these engines are available, and one of the existing tenders may be suitable to use with it. 

The C&T was a 5-mile connector built when the NYC's Ulster & Delware standard gauged a branch and left the Catskill Mountain Railway and Otis Elevating Railway with no connection to the resorts the latter was built to allow the CMR to connect to.  All were located along the west side of the Hudson River in New York state.   The Otis was a 7000 foot cable-powered line lifting cars some 1600 feet from the Hudson River valley.  The CMR was the valley connection between several small towns and the villiage of Catskill on the Hudson River. 

Royce Wilson

I wish that Mr.Bachmann would consider making the mogul in the turn of century version with the pancake(McConnell stack)and short smokebox . C&S number 13 was a classy tea kettle with that intertwined C&S on the cab and the short smokebox and pancake stack. ::)

Royce

dtrrman

For smaller power and a ton of kitbashing ideas, either the 2-6-2T Alco  military 600mm tank engine built for the british during WW1 or the 2-6-2T Baldwin for the US forces.  Vulcan and Davenport also built nice versions of 2-6-2T's that were never shipped from the US in time for the war.  Whats nice from a marketing standpoint is that these engines were scattered all over the globe after WW1 for use on plantations, mining lines, road construction in the US, sugar cane lines, etc.  That would make the engines appeal to overseas modelers as well as US modelers and kill two birds with one stone from a marketing standpoint.  They would also be a kitbashers paradise.  But from the same standpoint, any 2-6-2T would have a wide appeal.  Marketing wise worldwide it would be a smart move.

Scott Gavin

My first wish is simple - I'd like to see fluted domes for the 4-4-0, either replacement domes or a fluted base and cap that would fit on the existing domes.

It would also be nice if the 4-4-0 could be offered with a short smoke box, and a firebox that doesn't entirely fill the cab.

Ideally, though, what I'd like to see offered would be small 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s of a proper configuration for 1860s- 1880s vintage, since most early narrow gauge railroads used this sort of motive power, and there is a total lack of these models available. Bachmann's current 4-4-0 is beautiful, but is a bit unique. Their 2-6-0 is too massive and modern for most early narrow gauge lines.

I'd suggest that the Bachmann designers get a copy of Mallory Hope Ferrel's "Rails, Sagebrush and Pine" about the Sumpter Valley Railway. They'd find a wealth of inspiration there, as the SVRR used just about everything narrow gauge they could find, from vintage Americans and Moguls to the Uintah Mallets.  ;D

Dalek1995

How about a 3-truck shay? Or a Disneyland RR line?
YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED!

Royce Wilson

Scott, Blouder Valley Models makes the flange steam and sand dome designed especially for the Bachmann IF 4-4-0. they also make additional stakes if you want to shorten the smoke box.

The Bachmann mogul is a updated version of the Denver South Park & Pacific Cooke mogul. with a little work it could be back dated to a 1885 mogul.

I am with you on the Sumpter Valley equipment it has been ignored for too long and how about adding another driver to that IF 4-4-0 and having a Baldwind 2-6-0, is that feasiable? and maybe it would pull something more than itself.

Royce

rich19

As I model the era 1880 - 1885, I'd also welcome models that replicate the typical (small and ornate) locomotives of that time. However, with two 4-4-0's already in its portfolio, I cannot imagine that Bachmann will produce one in the next 5 years or more.

Thus, I will wait (probably for many more years) for the MMI 4-4-0 .......

Although not for me, I also think that the WW1 Baldwin/Vulcan/Davenport 2-6-2 would strategically be a great prototype to offer.

Richard

Royce Wilson

Sorry about the mispelleding on the last post .it should have read that Boulder Valley makes additional smoke stacks that are approiate in size to the IF 4-4-0, :- if you choose to shortenen the smoke box...do this and add the flange domes and a nice big oil head light and you have a nice looking engine. It ain't no mountain goat but if you are modeling a eastern railroad go for it! :-*

Royce