News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

White Pass sound problem

Started by dallasj100, June 25, 2010, 01:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasj100

Hello...

About 2 weeks ago I received my 1st Bachmann, a 4-6-0 White Pass loco & tender w/ sound. After running it a bit on my layout, I think there is a problem with the "chuff" part of the sound. It sounds like only a steam sound is coming through, and that sounds very tinny, or hollow, for lack of better words. There is no chuffing sound, like I am used to with my LGB trains. When the train stops, there is the definite "whoosh" of the steam sound.

The reason I think there might be a problem is infrequently there is a momentary sound, a deeper pop - like a chuff, that is discernible, almost like there is a short in the system.

Battery is installed, wires are connected to the loco, both sound switches are "on". My layout is about 50', indoors, 6amp trafo, 5amp throttle.

This is my first Bachmann train, so I have no direct comparison for the chuff and steam sound it should make, only to my LGB gear.

Do you have any suggestions for trouble shooting this?
Perhaps my best option is to return it...

Thanks...

grayfitz

Hi Dallis, The site I gave you on your other question also has a good sound article and wireing diagram, relating to chuff problems..I printed the whole 26 pages and use for reference often..  GRAYFITZ.

dallasj100

G'day grayfitz, and thank you for the info.

I have saved the document you suggested for future reference.
For the present, my best option is to return the train, maybe an exchange for another one, and try again.

regards, dallasj100

dallasj100

Well, I returned the loco & tender to the vendor, who gladly exchanged it. Problem remains with the new items - steam sounds are apparent, but the "chuff" seems to be an intermittant "pop" sound as the train proceeds around the layout. Wires between loco & tender are connected, loco sound switch is ON, tender sound switch is ON, tender battery is installed.
Have another Bachmann on the way (90016 Royal Blue Line) so I will see if that one is any different.  :-\

tony@skippystrains

Dallas, a couple items to remember;  this merchandise is guaranteed by Bachmann as long as it has not been tampered with or modified by the purchaser.  I would call Bachmann and relay all of the information you have along with the problem.  Believe me they honor their limited lifetime warranty!  Please remember, that if you disassemble this unit to troubleshoot it yourself, POOF goes your warranty.

Next, I do not know if your LGB sound is analog or digital.  Even at analog, it is not a fair comparison to the non DCC sound from Bachmann.  Now, if your engine is a Spectrum engine with DCC then by all means compare your sound to LGB.

I still have a 4-6-0 with the battery sound in Yellow Pass livery that is 7 years old and it sounds just fine!  Although a simple, clean engine and tender, it is one of my showcase items...and I do have examples from most major manufacturers.

Regards

Tony
Tony Fortunato / Skippy's Train Shed

RBMN #425 Fan

mine does that too every5-10 chuffs. and always in one of the same spots (bridge entering the tunnel[though its not a white pass{North Pole &
Southern}])
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

Peter O

Gentlemen, you have the Annie "fart"problem.

What is happening is the sound drum contacts (the strips on the drum) have screws at the ends holding the strips to the plastic drum. The Mk. IV and later 4-6-0 the axle bushings are LARGE, and the screwheads occasionally contact the bushing, which is one side of track power.. As the axle moves from side to side, the gap closes and you get, the "fart" effect.

The cure is to put a nylon washer between the back of the drive wheel and the brass bushing. The proper way to do this is by removing the wheels, but I've been successful on may occasions by just cutting one side of the washer and "persuading" it over the axle with some needle nose pliers.

I believe the original problem and cure was posted on the Phoenix Sound web site, but I don't know if it's still there.

I just checked and it's here and even includes picture of the process I just described and the size of the washer needed.

http://www.phoenixsound.com/pdf/Bach10W.pdf  (page 3)

Good Luck and welcome to fart free railroading