Over grown track that you can still get a train through

Started by buzz, June 26, 2010, 07:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Hi guys
I need a lot of over grown track on my layout including parts of the main line.
Any one got ideas how to do it so it both looks good and doesn't get picked up by loco gear trains ???.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

CNE Runner

John - I have included below a scene that I would love to capture on the Monks' Island Railway. This is from Carl Arendt's website on micro/mini layouts www.carendt.com. You'll have to do some searching to find the scrapbook page including this scene. Perhaps there is a link code there that will connect you with the builder.

I hope this inspires you (it sure did me!).

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

Buzz -

It's no different than any other kind of scenery.  You just have to make sure everything is firmly attached.  

You'll probably want to avoid iron or steel items between the rails, but you could make styrene spikes and fish plates with plenty of rust both between the rails and along side.  A few areas with really tall weeds (use marsh grass or paintbrush bristles) really make track look unused and poorly maintained.  Just be sure the clumps aren't so tall they can bunch up when a train goes over them.  That can stop or derail a train.  Also, make sure your flangeways remain unobstructed.

-- D

RAM

I would say that there are two rules. One is to keep the inside and top the the rail clean.  The other is do not let the weeds grow higher than the top of the rails.

buzz

Hi doneldon
I don't know about making plastic spikes but cosmetic fish plates are made in plastic
Hi CNE Runner
yes thats the sort of thing will see if i can find it.
regards John

CNE Runner

As a result of Don's post, I took another look at the picture I included in my earlier posting. If you look carefully you will see that the builder was careful to keep the grass, between the rails, short. Grasses were also kept well back from the track's outside edge. I would imagine this type of vegetation would raise havoc with locomotives and rolling stock if care isn't taken.

Ray

buzz

Hi CNE Runner
Thanks for the re-check and after note.
You have been of great assistance along with the other people posting on this topic
If I get it wrong the loco cleaning bill would be horrendous
not to mention the frustration that would go with it.
One of the benefits I am finding with a small space is you have time to think about stuff like this and other small details.
Even to the point of a heron watching a fish with the fish in the stream or pond,
the fish where in a wildlife pack where I wanted other larger creatures that where in the pack.
I am beginning to think smaller space with care can = much higher quality layout.
Regards John

CNE Runner

Indeed John...the pleasure is all mine. Good luck with your future model railroad plans.

Ray