News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Programing

Started by Boatdriver, June 24, 2010, 09:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatdriver

Being new to all this DCC, I purchase a controller on eBay.  It came without a manual, any ideas about what steps I should take to program the engines I purchase as well?

Joe323

Could you be a little more specific What brand type of controller?  I believe most of Manuals are available on line from the manufacturers website.

ABC

Assuming you purchased the E-Z Command, here's the appropriate instructions:
QuoteYour E-Z Command Control Center features ten programmable control buttons or "addresses." By default, most new DCC-equipped locomotives are factory-programmed to respond to commands on address 3. To program your locomotive to another address, first activate the locomotive by running it a short distance. Next, press button 3 (figure 8; the locomotive's default address) AND the "Stop" button (figure 9) at the same time, then release them together. The power LED will flash quickly to indicate you're in programming mode. Choose a new address for your locomotive and press the corresponding button. The locomotive will move slightly (figure 10) and the power LED will flash slowly to indicate that you have successfully programmed your locomotive to its new address. Finally, press the "Stop" button to exit programming mode.
If it's address was higher than 10 do this:
QuoteYou can use the E-Z Command system to control locomotives that have a previously assigned digital address other than number 3. If
the previously assigned address is a number less than 10, follow the directions we've just described to assign a new address to a
locomotive decoder. Just substitute the locomotive's original digital address number for the number 3 in the standard programming
procedure.
However, if the locomotive's digital address is a number higher than 10, you can reprogram it by following this procedure:
First, remove all locomotives from the layout. Next, follow the standard E-Z Command programming procedures as described in the
"Programming a Locomotive to a Specific Address" section (but without any locomotive on the track), including pushing and
holding down the number 3 button and the "Stop" button. At this point, you're ready to assign a new digital address to the
locomotive. Simply place the subject locomotive on the track and assign a new address by pressing a numbered E-Z Command
button (1 to 9). The locomotive will move slightly to signal that you have successfully assigned a new, lower address. Finally, push the
"Stop" button to exit the programming mode and begin operating your locomotive at its new digital address.

Kris Everett

yep follow those directions and it will be ok just take it slow and easy at first to get use to all the new steps

OldTimer

If your unit is an E-Z Command, look to your left at the red menu bar.  Rest your mouse on E-Z Command.  You'll see a submenu that will allow you to download a PDF version of the E-Z Command manual.
Just workin' on the railroad.

Doneldon

Ahoy, Boatdriver -

Welcome to DCC and this Bachmann board.

Just for future reference, the people on the board will be able to help you best if you state exactly what equipment you are inquiring about.  Without that we'll end up making assumptions and might give you useless or even harmful advice.

Boatdriver as in USN?

Once again, welcome aboard.
                                                                                  -- D

Colorado_Mac

Doesn't work for me.
Now, the instructions from the manual (copied by ABC above) say that if you are reprogramming a loco with a number under 10, to push and release stop button and 3 button at the same time, but to reprogram one with a number over 10 by "...remove all locomotives from the layout...pushing and
holding down the number 3 button and the "Stop" button...Simply place the subject locomotive on the track..."

I'm trying to reprogram a Spectrum 2-8-0 with address 706 to 4.  If I'm reading this correctly, must I be holding down the two buttons at the same time i am trying to wrestle the engine onto the track?  
I'm pretty sure I can't physically do that.

Also, manual says:  "...The power LED will flash quickly to indicate you're in programming mode. Choose a new address for your locomotive and press the corresponding button. The locomotive will move slightly (figure 10) and the power LED will flash slowly to indicate that you have successfully programmed your locomotive to its new address..."   Mine flashes, but quickly and slowly seem subjective to me - and it never changes speed, anyway.

ABC

Put the loco on the track after you remove all other locos. Then proceed to follow the directions, there is no need to handle/touch the loco in the process, it should already be on track

Colorado_Mac

Didn't work, ABC.  I documented every step as I did them, as follows.

Loco on track - has power, making "idle" sounds.
My steps:
   - STOP LED is solid, 1 LED is solid
   - Press and hold STOP and 3
   - Idle sound ceases, STOP LED flashes, 1 LED is solid - is it in  programming mode?
   - Press 4 while still holding.  Loco doesn't "move slightly" and LED flashes at SAME speed
   - Release STOP and 3.  LEDs the same.
   - Press 4.  Loco doesn't "move slightly and LED flashes at same speed.

Tried again, pressing STOP and 3 before putting loco on track, then pressed 4. No movement, no LED change.  Pressed 2 while in programming mode - no movement, no LED change.  Pressed STOP to exit programming mode - STOP LED goes solid, idle sounds return, but no control.

Colorado_Mac

Thanks for the help, everyone.  I Found the problem and reprogrammed the loco (so I'm more successful than the US soccer team). 
This was the problem -
Printed manual says "...Next, press button 3 (figure 8; the locomotive's default address) AND the "Stop" button (figure 9) at the same time, then release them together..."
But online manual says

1.Activate the locomotive by running a short distance and bring the locomotive to a stop.
   2.Press button 3 (ie  the button for the locomotives existing address)
   3.Keeping button 3 depressed, press and release the STOP button
   4.Release 3 (the address button)
- the Power LED is now flashing quickly
   5.Press and release the button for the new address the locomotive is to be set to - the locomotive moves slightly to indicate its response and the power LED is now flashing slowly.
   6.Press and release the STOP button.

Found this at http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ezcommand.php?ezpage=1