News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

expanding my layout

Started by crawler182, June 29, 2010, 10:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crawler182

:) so i have this new set from here and the speed controller only allows one accessory,
my dilemma is....
1: how do i make my layout bigger with only one terminal/derailleur ?!?!?!?!!?
becuase the bigger i make the track the more current it needs
2: how do i get more accessory's without upgrading the speed controller?!?!?!?!!?

the Bach-man

Dear Crawler,
Run two bus wires from the track outputs, and tap into them where you need more power. Similarly, you can run two AC wires to a terminal strip, and run accessories from it.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

crawler182

thank you
i understand the way of getting more power to another area of the track but how do i get more accessory's when there is only one output for one accessory? would i tap into it and run extra wires to the extra accessory's? the problem is with too many accessory's wouldn't the circuit keep breaking and the track would lose to much power?

ABC

Most people use a separate power source for lights, switches/turnouts, and accessories. Any old Ho/N scale power source will suffice.

crawler182

so you mean one power source on the speed controller and track, and another for all the accessory's?
how would i do that? my track, so far a 4 switches for turnouts and stuff but how would i wire them into a separate power supply?

Franz T

Quote from: crawler182 on June 29, 2010, 11:24:44 PM
so you mean one power source on the speed controller and track, and another for all the accessory's?
how would i do that? my track, so far a 4 switches for turnouts and stuff but how would i wire them into a separate power supply?

Simply take the wires now going to the "Accessories" terminal of your current pack and attach them to the "Accessories" or A/C terminal of the new power pack.
In fact,  if you are planning on expanding your layout, it would not be a bad idea if you were to replace the "train set" power pack that came with your set with a larger power pack, such as one from MRC. You  can use the old power pack to power your switches (I use a 16 volt A/C doorbell transformer for that purpose) That way you will have no power (i.e. speed) drop to your track when you operate a turnout...

crawler182

thanks,
i understand exactly what you saying and everything but it's the wiring im confused on. how would i wire accessory's into another power pack?

*edit* instead of using a power pack to run  the accessory's through d/c current could i run them through a battery?

Franz T

It sounds more complicated than it actually is. Simply disconnect the  Accessory wires from the AC terminal of your current power pack, leaving the Track wires (DC) in place and the Accessory terminal screws unused. Connect the two wires you just removed from your old power pack to the "Accessory" or AC terminals of the new pack, leaving the Track (DC) terminals - if any - unused.
There is absolutely no need or reason to hook both the switches/turnouts and the Track wired to the same power pack. Accessories such as switches are 12-16 volt constant AC and your locomotive/track runs on variable DC (nominally 12 volt max). The two are totally separate (although electrically the transformer in the power pack supplies both the AC current to the accessories and, via rectifier diodes and some type of rheostat or solid state current regulator, DC current to the track. Hence the drop in locomotive speed when switches are thrown, especially in the case of low-end power packs such as supplied with train sets.)
I hope that clears up any confusion...

Franz T

Quote from: crawler182 on June 30, 2010, 12:28:02 PM

*edit* instead of using a power pack to run  the accessory's through d/c current could i run them through a battery?

Absolutely NOT. the solenoids in the switch motors require AC to operate.

crawler182

THANK YOU!!! that actually made sense!
so i need another power pack and speed controller?

ABC

All you need is an AC power source it does not need to have a rheostat (controls speed).

crawler182

okay thanks, but without the controller how would i wire the accessory's into the power pack?????
i understand fully on what everyone is trying to tell me and i appreciate it very much

Franz T

ABC is correct. all you really need is an AC power suorce. I used a doorbell transformer from my local Home Despot.. ;D

Although if you are planning to expand your layout, I would, in your position, seriously consider getting a QUALITY DC power supply (such as one from MRC), since train set power packs tend to be rather low-end in terms of performance and use that to control your trains. You will find that you have much better speed control - especially  low-speed control with a good solid state power pack (as well as some other goodies, such as Momentum and Brake, depending on the power pack you get). The one that came with your train set will be more than adequate to for the control of accessories, since you will more than likely never throw more than two switches simultaneously...
Now, if you are planning to add lighting to your layout (which also usually operates on AC), THAT is a whole different story...

Franz T

Quote from: crawler182 on June 30, 2010, 02:24:16 PM
okay thanks, but without the controller how would i wire the accessory's into the power pack?????
i understand fully on what everyone is trying to tell me and i appreciate it very much

Just use the Accessory/AC terminals on the pack you are going to use for your switches and ignore the track terminals on that one, use the Variable DC for your track and ignore the Accessory/AC terminals on the other one... ;)..

EDIT: I just re-read you original question. You would wire multiple accessories in parallel......
  Incidentally, you do not need more current (amps) due to the amount (or length) of track, although extra track feeder wires would help, but you WOULD need extra amp capacity based on how many locomotives you plan to run at the same time (i.e. double heading)....

crawler182

thanks, im extending my layout by adding 2 siding and maybe making the oval, twist and turn a little, nothing super super big, im more confused on how to wire the accessory's into another power pack