Steam to Return to Norfolk Southern

Started by Guilford Guy, June 30, 2010, 06:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

Alex

pcctrolleyII

Aww sweet i wonder when they are going to start up. I would love to go. Please keep me up dated.  ;D
PCC trolleys for life.

napa15

OK - I am honestly trying to contain my excitement. I'm a 38 yr old grown man who feels like a 7 year old who just woke up Christmas morning to get every present he asked for.  ;D

Thank you so much for posting this. I have a LONG history with the Southern #4501 that is presently in the midst of restoration at the Tennessee Valley RR Museum. Well, she's had a lot of work done on her and still needs a lot more. Last I heard (talking with someone at TVRM) they weren't very confident she'd ever get finished, let alone by 2011. I want so very badly to be able to ride behind her again. My first experience with her was when I was 4, 1975. It was an excursion trip from Calera, Alabama to Chatanooga, Tn and back. I went with my Grandfather and Grandmother. Of all the things I remember as a child, it is by far the most prominent and fond memory I have.

Anyway, sorry to get all sentimental.. but to me this is HUGE news.

pipefitter

Wow! That certainly goes against the prevailing corporate tide. I was a long time fan of the Southern steam excursion program and watched it go from SRW 4501 to the NS 611 and 1218. I loved the excursions behind the "Green Engine" as it may have received some service from my Grandfather who was a steamfitter/boilermaker for Washington Terminal Company. I've read a lot about the Mike 4501 and while it was primarily a freight loco, it was capable of speed and was occasionally used for passenger service on the Southern's important mainline between Atlanta GA and Washington DC. (Spencer Shops was located where it is because it is mid way on the route).

When I got into the Southern steam excursions in the 70's they were much smaller than the huge NS trains just prior to the "insurance crisis" of the 80's. A favorite trip of that time was Alexandria VA to Front Royal VA, behind 4501. I remember my new wife questioning me as to why we were taking a train that takes 4 hours to get to Front Royal when we could drive there in two hours  ;D I remember a later trip when 4501 was pulling seven heavyweight cars on the route including the Southern car that was half coach and half open side observation with a thick cement floor. The car was said to be especially heavy. I thought the name was "Missionary Ridge" but have since searched and found that is a different car. Outbound when we got to the ruling grade, Linden Hill the 4501 really got down on her knees... POW!.....POW!.....POW!.....POW!.....POW!..... Her exhaust sounded like super loud shotgun blasts. But she didn't slow and made the grade. A knowledgeable rider said that the chilly and rainy day had helped her boiler efficiency on that trip. And there were no nasty diesels in the consist in those days.

When NS took over and 611 and 1218 were in charge of the trains 4501 was retired to TVRM and was said to be totally worn out, even the frame was loose and falling apart and that she would never run again. Turns out that was not the case and she will be running for her 100th birthday in 2011 :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Railway_4501

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RK9MV_V3JA

Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

napa15

Here are some pictures I took of the 'ole girl in may at the shop at TVRM.

The 2nd to last picture is the #630 tucked in the back of the shop, work in progress. I think they said she might be complete late this year (but don't quote me on that).

The last picture is the #610 out at the shop as well. In May when we visited the Conductor told me that it had 60 days left on it's boiler before it had to go in the shop.

I know than when and if this all does take place I'll be there.

ebtnut

Really big, good news.  I expect to be retired next year, so should be able to get down there later in 2011 to see the old girl again.  I rode on one of the first trips out of DC behind 4501 in, I believe, the fall of 1964.  Got a cab ride in her a few years later when our NRHS chapter co-hosted many of the SR/NS trips out of Washington.  I remeber her having one of the loudest whistles I've ever heard.  And hey, CSX, take note!! ;)

pipefitter

Quote from: napa15 on July 01, 2010, 12:02:21 AM
Here are some pictures I took of the 'ole girl in may at the shop at TVRM ...

Thanks for these!

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland