Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Saddle Tank Switcher

Started by jonathan, July 01, 2010, 12:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

Quote from: Jim Banner on July 04, 2010, 01:33:22 AM
Rich,
I think your method of adding pickups to the locomotive wheels is great.  Have you tried it out for tender pickup as well?  The usual pickup off tender axles is fine, but gives only four wheel pickup.  I'm thinking this might be an easy way of getting eight wheel tender pickup.

Jim

The idea came from Harold Minkwitz. His idea started with tender picks. I use them in some old time 4-4-0 locos with tender drive.
Also, I modify my Spectrum's tenders for better pickups. I keep the axle pickup but add wheel pickups on the side with no pickups.
I would save his page as a HTML document in your PC. The page below was in his 1905 HO scale ideas but the site went away. He changes subjects and the site goes away.
I have many of his pages stored that are from the 1905 site a couple years ago.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Add this page to Favorites as the subject comes up in different forums about six times a year.

Rich

jonathan

I saved  the instructions.  Can't wait to try it out.

Felt the Rivarossi deserved a couple hours of my attention, since it ran well enough.

It now has graphite on the smoke box, a red cab roof, and working lights:  two up front, one in the rear.  
Three 3.5v bulbs connected in series.  As long as I don't go crazy with the throttle, they should be okay.

If she keeps running well, perhaps she'll deserve some detailing and a proper paint job.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Wow!  Is this the same engine?  Seriously, you cleaned her up well, and the little touch up in paint looks good, too. 

Funny to note this engine apparently had an accident to the left front footboard. . .

Glad it came out so well.

bandmguy

thought I'd seen that engine in Boston.

Doneldon

jonathan-

One of the problems with the dirt that collects on model railroad gear is that it usually includes some congealed oil or grease, both of which can be a bear to remove.  Try a little dishwashing soap (NOT dishwasher soap).  It's designed to cut through grease while being gentle on our delicate hands and fingernail paint jobs so it's just what we (you) need.
                                                                                             -- D

jonathan

Yep, that's what I did: dish soap, hot water, and a soft toothbrush.  It took a while, but the old dirt finally came off.  I just did the shell.  The frame is still, um, weathered.  Yeah that's it--it's weathered. ;)

J

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: OldTimer on July 04, 2010, 02:14:08 PM
Back when Mantua was really Mantua, the 0-6-0T was known as the "Little Six." 

And the early version, where the entire superstructure (boiler and cab) was one solid piece of cast metal, would pull anything you could tie to its tail.  :)

jonathan

My next project.

Will post the results, when it's done, good or bad.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S.  I know... it's not a B&O Loco.  Well in my universe... :)  Hope I figure out how to get the shell off.

Addendum

First, I didn't understand how very small this loco is, even compared to the Rivarossi 0-6-0T.  You warned me.

Test run did not go well.  Discovered the crosshead on the right side was not assembled properly.
The crosshead backing plate slipped out of place and would not hold the crosshead on the guide.  
A smart man would have returned it at this point.  I am not a smart man.  

Instead, I lined up all the parts, took a flat needle nose pliers and gently squeezed the rivet
in an attempt to get the backing plate secured.  
I also put a tiny drop of epoxy on the rivet and backing plate to hold everything in place.  
The repair seems to have worked and the loco has gone around the layout a few times without falling apart.

This loco is a bit noisy, sounds like a wind up toy. Also, it runs kind of jerky, lots of stops and starts.
After removing the shell, I noticed the motor is open frame, not a can.  I'm sure that's the reason for the noise.
The motor runs pretty quick, even at 50% power, the loco creeps due to the gear ratio.  One screw holds the shell on.

Forward Screw

After removing the screw, lift the front of the shell and slide backwards.  The decoder sits in the shell, not glued in.
Decorder is hard wired so no attempt to remove it.  Lighting is directed through angled clear plastic,
so no bulbs to deal with.

Two wires were resting directly on the worm gear, so I redirected the wires.
There's plenty of lube, which probably prevented the gear from eating through the wires while I tested it.

The engineer and his chair fell right out when I took off the shell.  Glued them back in place.
Things have not gone well up to this point.

Broke Engineer

The right boiler walk was loose.  Reglued the walk so it would hold the piping in place.  That was successful.

Boiler Walk

Fixed Engineer

Discovered the jerkiness was caused by only half the pick up shoes touching the wheels.  
Removed the lower plate, bent the brushes out and reassembled.  Big difference.
The loco now creeps along smoothly as a Spectrum should.

Pick Up Brushes

Exposed Carriage

I also neolubed the drive train.  Looks nice.  No photo yet.  No shorts.  Whew.

Applied decals and Micro Sol.  Masked off the bell and whistle.  Discovered I'm out of Dullcote.  
Will finish the shell tomorrow.

Put in some window glazing.

Windows

Windows

Will add more coal to the bunker after I dullcote.

Not going to change couplers.  The EZ Mates should be fine for a light duty locomotive.

Despite the early problems, the tanker is turning out pretty nice.   Should have returned it,
but I'm too far into it to give up.  Will publish the final pics tomorrow I think.  
Should be able to finish it up tonight or early am.

Regards,

Jonathan

jettrainfan

Anything B&O catches my eye! This should be another interesting freelance project!  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

jonathan

This is a bit unorganized, but if you check out my previous post, starting at "Addendum",
I have added some photos and a progress report on my Spectrum Saddle Tanker.

Hope I don't confuse you too much. :)  Thanks

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Before.

Finished.  

I'll have to go over it with some thick glasses, to touch up.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Spectrum Saddle Tank Loco.  It's a touch noisy.  
After the repairs and some personalization, it is a very useful engine (sic) for my mine.

Will start breaking it in as soon as the weather cools a bit (hot garage).  
I don't know how much it will pull, yet.  Runs smooooooooth.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Jonathan

RBMN #425 Fan

wow!, those are great pictures everyone.
I'm saving up for one my self. i'm gonna make it a reading unit, like this one

well more like usa trains's, but you get the idea
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

Doneldon

jonathan-

Wow!  Thanks for the before and after pictures.  You went from blah to beautiful.  I hope you're proud of yourself.  You certainly deserve to be.
                                                                                                -- D

jonathan

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  It's all in the wrist.  ;D

RBMN #425,

That's a great shot of the Reading unit.  I like the detail possibilities.  
Be forwarned, this is a really small loco.  
I didn't understand how small until I actually held mine.

Let me give a comparison.  Here's the Saddle Tank next to a few other locomotives:

I considered adding MU hoses, chains, and a few other doodads,
but my eyes and fingers couldn't tackle this one.  
Superdetailing would have to be under a microscope for me.

Regards,

Jonathan

pipefitter

Nice locos Jon, and I especially enjoy your photos. I have one of those Rivi 0-6-0's in the "to do" box. Motor spins but the wheels don't turn. It's a great looking engine that I hope to get to soon.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland