Interesting Kitbash opportunity for a 45 tonner

Started by Guilford Guy, July 03, 2010, 11:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

http://rr-fallenflags.org/misc-o/onc8ads.jpg
I came across this while browsing through shortlines/industrial railraods. It looks like they just raised the cab up a few feet, but would be an interesting critter to model.
Alex

Guilford Guy

It looks very similar although the original cab on this critter was likely a bit shorter. From the picture you can see they took 2 cabs to build up the locomotive, likely a home job. The color differential where the door and windows have been replaced by sheet metal shows similarities in window placement to the cab placed about 3/4 of the way the original.
Alex

Doneldon

CNE and Guilford-

Lots of these were sold as built, off the shelf, but there was also much building to customers' specifications, resulting in lots of incarnations of the various builders' designs.  Plus, many owners did later revisions to accomodate their specific needs.  That's what makes these old minis interesting; it seems like no two are just alike.  That's an overstatement, of course, but you get my meaning.
                                                                                                 -- D

CNE Runner

Don - You are absolutely correct...there were many, many variations on the basic model of any of the industrial locomotive producers.

I wish one (or more) of the major model railroad manufacturers would begin building some of the more popular 'critters'. How many more AAR 40' box cars do we need? How many more 55-ton hoppers are there left to model? I would love to see Horizon Hobbies (a.k.a. MRC/Roundhouse) remake their EMD Model 40.

I suppose I shouldn't complain as Broadway Limited has come out with their excellent Trackmobile. One would think it would be an easy transition from Trackmobile to, say, Whitcomb 20...are you listening BWL?

Hope springs eternal,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

richg

Quote from: CNE Runner on July 04, 2010, 05:08:39 PM
Don - You are absolutely correct...there were many, many variations on the basic model of any of the industrial locomotive producers.

I wish one (or more) of the major model railroad manufacturers would begin building some of the more popular 'critters'. How many more AAR 40' box cars do we need? How many more 55-ton hoppers are there left to model? I would love to see Horizon Hobbies (a.k.a. MRC/Roundhouse) remake their EMD Model 40.

I suppose I shouldn't complain as Broadway Limited has come out with their excellent Trackmobile. One would think it would be an easy transition from Trackmobile to, say, Whitcomb 20...are you listening BWL?

Hope springs eternal,
Ray

Go to the BLI forum and suggest it. I would rather not post a link to their forum here. I use some BLI/PCM locos.

Rich

CNE Runner

Rich - I did the next best thing and wrote a letter to BLI ('will go out today). It would seem that if a mechanism can be made small enough for a Trackmobile...a Davenport or Whitcomb should be a 'walk in the park'. With smaller shelf layouts becoming more popular, there is an increasing demand for good running (and looking) 'critters'...time will tell.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ray

RAM

It was made by GE but I could not find a date that it was built

CNE Runner

Good call RAM as I can see some 'GE' characteristics in this locomotive. I went back to my research (I have a number of GE industrial locomotive catalogs) with 'fresh eyes' and think I have identified this critter.

It appears to be a modified GE 45-ton, model IIB (modified as in the installation of a steeple cab). If that is so, it was produced from September 1947 through December 1949.

Identification of any of these little locomotives is exasperated due to the extensive modifications either ordered with delivery - or performed later during its working career. In June 1950, GE replaced the rod connected trucks with roller chain - so we know the engine was made prior to 1950 as it is equipped with rod connected trucks.

Ray

PS: I have removed my obviously erroneous previous posting.

Guilford Guy

It looks GE, although it is shorter than the Bachmann ones and has different hood details, so an accurate model would be a fairly expensive proposition. Having said that, few will have enough knowledge of the railroad to find faults with another 45 tonner cab kitbashed atop a 45 tonner.
Alex

CNE Runner

I agree Alex. There were many small industrial locomotives produced - and they were also widely modified. It would be nice to be able to purchase a model of a Whitcomb or Davenport (Bachmann makes one in On30). Having said that, I wish Bachmann would: 1) stop labeling their Plymouth MDT as such...it isn't and comes closest to being a WDT, and 2) change the molds to more closely portray the Plymouth WDT. When I get up the nerve, I plan on removing the exhaust stack, rework the cab front, install wire grab irons, and attach the proper exhaust stack on my WDT. In other words: make a purse out of a sow's ear.

Regards,
Ray