News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout progress

Started by Daylight4449, July 05, 2010, 07:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

My layout is designed to be expandable as it is sectional. right now i plan on having 4 sections for now, 2 of which have track. Here it is:

If you have any suggestions feel free to say so, this is my first real layout and I am exited. ( I started this week)

ABC

If you want to run that steam engine on your layout, you should convert your turnouts to #5s or #6s to accommodate it better.

Joe Satnik

I wonder if that loco has magne-traction.
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Daylight4449

it is the bachmann sy, it handles fine. the coaches are the real problem

full maxx

Quote from: Joe Satnik on July 05, 2010, 09:12:34 PM
I wonder if that loco has magne-traction.
remember the tyco race car sets that would go up the wall... looks good so far you have as many switches as I do and its only half your layout...keep us posted
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

CNE Runner

Nice switching layout. You remembered to include a 'run around' track to you can push cars in either direction. I suggest you make one of the longer tracks the mainline or 'through' track. It doesn't have to go anywhere; but gives the illusion that there is a world - off scene - that your creation is part of.

I see you have a rerailer track - but you might find that the RIX Rail-It will work a little better (Walthers #628-2 @ $3.49). This is a handy little tool that will allow you to rail cars as fast as you can let them ride down the tool's inclined surface.

Additionally I like that you left some room for structures. You might also want to consider having part of your layout be an engine servicing area. Having a district servicing area allows you to have just about any size locomotive that will negotiate the curves.

Nice job...keep us informed of your progress.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Daylight4449

the back part will be for storage and for completing the mainline, the small random looking tracks are going to be in buildings as i was planing on making it a yard/service area.

CNE Runner

'Sounds good. I am also glad to see that you are test fitting the tracks before gluing them permanently to the Styrofoam. I usually make paper templates of the various parts of a track plan, adhere them to a larger piece of paper/cardboard, and check if everything works. I am in the process of adding to the Monks' Island Railway and thought I had the dimensions for the new addition 'iced'. It quickly became apparent that a tail siding would only hold 1 car...no locomotive, just 1 car. Naturally this would not work and I have now constructed a new layout base that is 8" longer than the first.

As I said earlier...good luck and keep us informed of the progress.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Daylight4449

That problem is why i did it, i realized that while cool, the short tracks were useless and inefficient so i basically redid it all and it came out great, sometimes you have to see it to know it won't work. i will post a new picture tommorow.