Model Power 0-4-0 Tank Possible Decoder Fit

Started by Sunshine Express, July 06, 2010, 06:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

Could a decoder be fitted to a new Model Power 0-4-0 Tank Loco please ?
Owen C Robinson

ABC

I have one, and if I recall correctly, try a DZ125. But it is not an easy install by any means.

richg

Here is a link to the DZ125 decoder. Quite small and handles 1 amp. Don't let the Z scale  bother you.
Just make sure either motor lead is not connected to the chassis.
Follow the NMRA wire code for DCC.
Do not know what your level of experience is with DCC.
You will need good four wheel pickups, clean track and powered frogs.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dz125.php

Rich

Sunshine Express

Thank you both for your reply and assistance.My level of DCC fitting so far has been GP38-SW1500,and a tough one the Proto Heritage 0-6-0 Tender Loco,not for space,but having to change the bulbs also.
Owen C Robinson

CNE Runner

S.E. - I hope you didn't 'read over' RichG's advice of: four-wheel pickups, clean track, and powered turnout frogs. If any of these suggestions is not followed, to the letter, you will be very disappointed with your 0-4-0s performance. The performance of DC powered short locomotives can be less than desired over nonpowered frogs...it is frustrating when dealing with DCC (which tends to be less forgiving of electrical interruptions).

As an aside: Electrical conductivity is so critical on my Bachmann Plymouth MDT that I clean its wheels (it features 6-wheel pickup...sort of) before every other operating session. My track is cleaned every other week. Having said that it still 'stumbles' over the Insulfrog crossing and double slip turnout...something I have learned to live with. More than likely a longer wheelbase locomotive would have no problems at all...something to think about.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Sunshine Express

Yes Ray,the short loco has always been a problem on points/turnouts.Peco and possibly all Insulfrog Points are very reliable if you don,t use them often.I have modified some of mine with a jumper wire soldered to the stock rail and the moving rail,though they are not then true insulating points,but on DCC that is not a problem.At 80 years,this is probably my last layout,but should the bug bite again,I would go for Electrofrog Points for DCC.Thanks for your input.
Owen C Robinson

richg

Quote from: Sunshine Express on July 07, 2010, 07:33:38 PM
Yes Ray,the short loco has always been a problem on points/turnouts.Peco and possibly all Insulfrog Points are very reliable if you don,t use them often.I have modified some of mine with a jumper wire soldered to the stock rail and the moving rail,though they are not then true insulating points,but on DCC that is not a problem.At 80 years,this is probably my last layout,but should the bug bite again,I would go for Electrofrog Points for DCC.Thanks for your input.

Good news. I was surprised at your age and doing dcc. I am 70 and still find this a wonderful challenge. Ok, I cheat and use an Optivsor. ;)

Rich

Jim Banner

I'm not far behind you, Rich, and my lighted magnifying glass is my best friend.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Sunshine Express

Nice to have friends in the hobby,time to give up when you can,t see those KD springs---what springs  ?
Owen C Robinson

CNE Runner

...or at 65; "Now where is that locomotive?"

Sunshine Express, you are an inspiration and a source of hope for those of us in our 'Golden Years'. There are too many 80-year olds who spend their days in front of the TV or napping (we better not get into napping as I have been known to do some thinking-with-my-eyes-shut).

Regarding DCC: I miss being able to use my DCC equipment. The last layout (in our garage) was DCC and I enjoyed being able to easily run more than one locomotive at a time. My mini layouts aren't worth the added expenditure of DCC - so I'll stay with DC.

Oh, and I also use a lighted magnifier a lot more than I remember doing in the past. Hmmm, why are they called the 'Golden Years'?

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"