News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cutty Sark

Started by pdlethbridge, May 21, 2007, 09:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJCrescent

I do wish that people would really read what others write. ???

I never said the Cutty Sark was the fastest clipper. It wasn't. But the Tea Clippers AS A WHOLE were faster than any other sailing vessel for the distances covered.  The Tea Clippers day was in the years after the war. They were wider and longer, and their cargo capacity was greater. After the tea trade went to the steamers, Australian wool became the "cargo of choice" for the clippers and many a race took place between the ships in this trade. If anything the Wool trade was more cutthroat than the tea trade. The American clippers heyday was prior the 'Great Dissagreement Between the States'.The American Clippers time was only about 15yrs, if that long, while many of the tea/wool clippers worked for 30-40 yrs after the tea trade.

Atlantic Central;

The USS Constitution was not a revolutionary war ship. It was built after the war and served against the Barbary Pirates, in the minor war with France in 1803 and in the War of 1812, where it won great distinction. The British Parliment considered during the war to brand the American Navy Frigates as pirates as the British Admiralty considered the American design as "unsporting".  :o

The American frigates, built to a 44-60 gun configuration, were built longer and wider than the typical British and French Frigates of the time, (38-44 guns), which provided a more stable gun platform than the typical British design. The British thought this was "unsporting" because the British ship of the line classes started with a 64 gun minimum and they considered it piracy that the American "frigates" carried almost as many guns as their nominal ship of the line. It wasn't "sporting" for a frigate to fight a ship of the line, "as true gentlemen didn't fight wars that way".  ;D The American frigates also carried more carronades, (the really big guns, 24-40 lb or more size shot), than the British frigates.
Keep it Between the Rails
Carey
Alabama Central Railway

dto

By the way, if you refer to the CSS Virginia by her earlier name, don't forget the "K" in USS Merrimack.

Merrimack:  A river formed by the junction of Permigewasset and Winnipesaukee Rivers at Franklin, N.H., flowing across northeastern Massachusetts before emptying in the Atlantic at Newburyport, Mass.

Merrimac:  A variant spelling for the Merrimack river.

Even during her original USN service, USS Merrimack was misspelled, and to this day scholars who should know better still drop that final "K".  And it doesn't help matters when the Union ALSO had a  sidewheeler USS Merrimac during the Civil War!

At least we don't have any confusion on the spelling of "Virginia", right?   ;)

Atlantic Central

CJ and dto,

Just turned 50 the other day and the memory is the first thing to go, Thank you both for filling the details.

The Constellation here in Baltimore was long thought to be the sister ship of the Constitution, but research has proven that not so. She was "replaced" under the guise of "repairs" by the Navy since the Congress was not allowing any new ships to be constructed.

The British missed the point, the only thing that matters in war is winning.

Terry,

My recolection is that both ways are correct.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Two words.  I had a war time mission as artillery liaison officer to 4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry when I was in Korea.  When the squadron left their compounds they played "Gary Owen" on the loud speakers.  The regimental crest has it in two words.
It has a nice lilt to it, but is hard to sing. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Terry Toenges

I see Sheldon is correct.
The original song was Garryowen. When the 7th adopted it, they split it into two words.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garryowen
Feel like a Mogul.

Woody Elmore

My grandfather was in Company I of the NY Fighting 69th in WWI. When it was sent over seas it became the 165th Infantry Battalion of the 42nd "Rainbow" division.

He knew several versons of "Garyowen" including one with bawdy lyrics. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I was too young to learn the words. He also used to sing "Madamoiselle from Armentieres"- again with bawdy lyrics.

Several years in a row I had the honor of marching with my grandfathrer with 69th vets in the Saint Patrick's Day parade behind the regimental band playing: "Garyowen."

SteamGene

Woody, I think that would have been 165th Infantry Regiment of the 42nd Division.  WWI divisions didn't have any independent infantry battalions.
I'm sure you will remember him this weekend.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ap0317ah

the cutty is a specal vessal my grandfather and i built it out of balsa wood from scratch. i was 8 and that was the first model i had ever built besides a kit box car. that was 22 years ago. grandfather made 99% of the super  structure he showed me how to tie the riging and sails. i still have that ship
and when to see it twice once with him and once with my wife and son.

Tom
a 1920's Baltimore & Ohio modeler

John C

Sheldon, Sorry for the late response - I've been otherwise employed lately.  I agree that the Cutty Sark isn't the ONLY  famous ship out there - you don't even have to leave that Island to encounter others.  HMS Victory, HMS Warrior, Mary Rose (all in Portsmouth) - Admiral Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar, first ironclad (British) warship & Henry VIII's flagship.  I'm sure that there are even more as we move further afield.  The fact is, though that it is a tragic event, and hopefully the ship will be restored to its original state.

Cheers!

John