News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sd45 Decoder Install

Started by Paulw, July 16, 2010, 03:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulw

I have tried to install a decoder in this engine and before I began I checked the engine out with a DC power pack and it ran just fine.
I installed the decoder without soldering the wires and it  did not respond. I checked the wires according to color and the numbers on the board and they all checked out.
I gave up and removed the decoder (M1 TCS), checked the decoder with an NCE decoder tester and it checked out OK.
Now the loco will not respond on dc. and I am looking for some help on what to look for. I have power to the tracks and a tester shows I have power when I contact the motor + and-. It will not run on DC nor DCC at address 0.
Could I have fried the board? I did not smell or see any smoke or indication anything was getting current.

Paul

ABC

Jim Banner

If you are measuring over 6 volts or so at the motor terminals and the motor is not turning, then you either have a bad motor or a mechanical problem in the drive line.  You should be able to turn the motor very easily both ways by hand.  If not, there is likely something jammed in the gears somewhere or possibly inside the motor.  A bit of plastic, a snippet of wire insulation, or ... ?  A bad motor, one that turns freely by hand but will not run at all, even with 12 volts at the motor terminals, could have oil on the brushes, torn wires at the commutator, a stuck brush or something similar interrupting current flow.  If the voltage is getting to the motor, then it is very unlikely that you have damaged any part of the circuit board and certainly no part of it that relates to running the motor.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Paulw

ABC Yes all other loco's run