News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Command won't work

Started by Emster, July 14, 2010, 03:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emster

My friend's E-Z command is shorted out and I wanted to know if it is fixable. He says he put the forked ends of the wires for a switch motor in the hole labeled something like I/O port. Then there was a pop and a smell like bad electrical stuff.
I hope it is possible to fix.
Emster

OldTimer

Oooops there.  It sounds like your buddy let the magic smoke out.  Apparently he doesn't read

Only plug a Bachmann E-Z Command device, or other device specifically approved by Bachmann, into the I/O port shown in
figure 19. Other devices may have the same connector but are not necessarily compatible.

so I wouldn't count on him being able to stuff the smoke back in the box.
Just workin' on the railroad.

ABC

Well the good news, is that they are only $50, so s/he is only out $50 for a new one.

Jim Banner

Your friend's E-Z Command may be repairable, by Bachmann Industries.  It is not repairable by the user.  Cost of repair by Bachmann would likely exceed ABC's estimated cost of a new one.  I am afraid your friend will just have to chalk it up as a costly reminder to read the instruction manual and to avoid inventive methods of abuse.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Here is a new one that sold for $50 plus shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bachmann-E-Z-Command-DCC-Controller-System-44902-NEW-/230494747043?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item35aa8eb9a3
A used one for $25 including shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bachmann-EZ-Command-Control-Center-/200489211655?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2eae169707
A Dynamis for $87 plus $13 shipping (Total $100) from the Favorite Spot:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-EZ-COMMAND-DYNAMIS-WIRELESS-CONTROLLER-36505-/180524728045?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item2a081cbeed
Here's a list of ending prices for new Bachmann Dynamis DCC Systems they range from $87-$110 plus $13 shipping, $123 is very reasonable for a Dynamis DCC System:   
Here's the link (you need an e-bay profile to view it though)
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=EZ+Command&_sacat=0&_sop=2&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=E-Z+Command&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313
BACHMANN EZ COMMAND DYNAMIS WIRELESS CONTROLLER 36505
9 Bids
Sold   
$87.79
+$13.12 shipping   End Date:Jul-05 18:07   
17 Bids
Sold   
$90.95
+$13.12 shipping   End Date:Jul-13 18:26
42 Bids
Sold   
$101.00
+$13.12 shipping   End Date:Jul-02 18:07   
9 Bids
Sold   
$102.50
+$13.12 shipping   End Date:Jul-04 18:50   
13 Bids
Sold   
$108.50
+$13.12 shipping   End Date:Jul-08 18:14   
9 Bids
Sold   
$109.39
+$13.12 shipping   End Date:Jul-11 17:52   
13 Bids
Sold   
$110.00
+$13.12 shipping   End Date:Jul-07 18:44

Jim Banner

There are some good deals to be had, that is for sure.  But most eBay sales are caveat emptor.  Just because an item is new does not guarantee that it will work.  And because most items on eBay are sold second hand, they do not come with a warranty, brand new in a sealed box or not.   Would you be willing to buy a used item described as "looks in very good condition" which says nothing about whether it works or not, especially when the listing clearly says "No Returns Accepted"?  Well, maybe for $15.50 plus $10 shipping I might, especially if the seller's rating was high enough.  Then what do I do if it doesn't work?  I can either toss it out and be out $25.50 or maybe I can get the seller to give me a refund and only be out $20. 

Don't get me wrong.  I am not suggesting that you should not buy on eBay.  I do all the time.  In fact, I just received a brand new, sealed box Bachmann Spectrum 0n30 gas mechanical locomotive with DCC on board, and complete with warranty for a total cost of $25.25 plus shipping.  I might have got one even cheaper.  But this way, there were no weasel words like "looks good."  Bottom line, caveat emptor.  And know exactly what you are bidding on before you bid.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

Quote from: Jim Banner on July 14, 2010, 10:48:35 PM
There are some good deals to be had, that is for sure.  But most eBay sales are caveat emptor.  Just because an item is new does not guarantee that it will work.  And because most items on eBay are sold second hand, they do not come with a warranty, brand new in a sealed box or not...
Good points Jim! All those Dynamis DCC Systems come with a full Bachmann warranty as they are from the Favorite Spot an authorized Bachmann dealer who I have never had any problems with, everything thing they sell is new and covered by Bachmann. The E-Z Commands are pretty cheap now I mean for $25, it is not much of a risk, it sure beats the MSRP of $133, that is 82% below MSRP or look at the Dynamis..it has an MSRP of $325, but they can be purchased for around $100 with warranty which is a savings of 70%. I got my Dynamis several years ago on ebay with warranty for $80 including shipping, you may not find one for $80 again, but they are readily available for $100 to $125 as seen from my compilation of completed auctions. I have 3 E-Z Commands, I paid $30 with shipping for my first one, $40 with free shipping for my second one, and my third came from a Digital Commander Set (w/ 2 ATSF locos) that I got for $80 including shipping. If you are patient and not overly anxious or in a rush to bid you can get some great deals, but as always when dealing on ebay with unknown sellers caveat emptor.