News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Minitrains Steam Loco

Started by WTierce1, July 14, 2010, 02:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

Does anyone know where you could get a minitrains Hon30 steam loco?  ??? ??? ???
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Doneldon

wt-

They haven't been made for nearly 40 years so you won't find them at any retail store which means you'll have to explore aftermarket sources.  ebay has about 15 MiniTrains items, but no locos right now.  I don't watch for these myself, but I would expect locos come up from time to time.  I'm guessing that they go for a premium price.  Another possibility is  train shows, which most often have many sellers  with both new and used items.  MiniTrains might show up there but, again, it will be a grab bag sort of thing.  The last option I can think of is garage/yard/tag sales.  This is pretty far down the likelihood scale but it's possible something will turn up from time to time.  I wouldn't start a garage sale quest just for MiniTrains but perhaps you already go garage saling.  If not, just watch ads for garage sales to see which mention trains and check those out.  You might even be able to do this without going if there is a phone number in the ad.

In case you haven't already seen it, there is a full, illustrated listing of MiniTrains items at:

http://ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscaletrainscollectorsresource/id85.html

Good luck, and have patience. 
                                                                               -- D

CNE Runner

MiniTrains are readily available and are being produced again (in the UK I think). I have included on website below and suggest you 'Google' for others. They have a really sweet Davenport industrial engine...too bad it is in HOn30.

Good luck,
Ray

I modified this post as I found another website (among many):
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

WoundedBear

Part of the MinitrainS line is back.....no steamers, but the Plymouth diesel and the cars are available.

http://www.bigcityhobbies.com/minitrains.html

Sid

CNE Runner

An interesting adjunct to this post is my renewed interest in the MinitrainS Plymouth locomotive (as well as some of those 'cute' cars). If I were reeeeeally talented, I would convert one of these wonderful locomotives to HO ('not to worry as I am not).

I have a small train board left over from a previous mini layout project; and am considering purchasing the MinitrainS train set - then building a layout to take with us in the motor home. 'Sounds like another project to add to the 'pile'.

Thanks for exposing me to this world (HOn30 that is). I advise you to check out Carl Arendt's website at http://www.carendt.com/index.html for more ideas you can do with your MinitrainS equipment.

Regards,
Ray

WoundedBear

Ray......

I couldn't resist.....lol. I ordered the green/yellow set and an expansion set of the dump cars.

Peach Creek seemed to have the best deal and easiest shipping to Canada.

Sid

richg

Keep watching ebay.

Below is a link I have had for sometime as I was making a HOn30 Climax using a N scale diesel as a base.

http://www.hon30.org/index.html

Rich

CNE Runner

Hey Sid - You really know how to hurt a guy. That is the same set I have been drooling over since Wtierce prompted me to do a little Internet search. After just dropping $100 on Peco Electrofrog turnouts for the new Sweet Haven extension, I have to 'rebuild' the finances a little (OK, a lot.).

My only concern, with MinitrainS, are the 'strange' couplers they sport. I wonder if one can change these to either Bachmann EZmate IIs or Kadee?

Enjoy your MinitrainS,
Ray

J3a-614

C.NE.,

I seem to recall a magazine article in Railroad Model Craftsman when the original Minitrains were new (and I have it in one of 15 or 20 boxes of magazines downstairs), which in the author converted his unit to standard guage, and claimed it wasn't a big job.

From what I remember, this involved either new axles from appropriate sized rod, or moving the wheels out on the orginal axles to standard gauge, removing the journal boxes on the frame (they are cosmetic only) so the newly extended wheels came through the frame (converting the unit from an outside-frame configuration to inside frame--not too unusual for the prototype, a local cement plant here has a unit like that), and mounting Kadee couplers on top of the platforms at each end to get the height needed (again, I think some prototypes were built this way).  The usual bits of plastic and wire for footboards and other details completed the job.

Hope this helps out if you decide to look at the standard gauge option.

CNE Runner

J3a-614, thanks for the information. Actually I have been interested in building a small mini layout using HOn30 for some time...call it a layout for the road. The MinitrainS set was so darn good looking that I started seriously thinking about layout design (layout would probably be something like 1'x 4'). Right now I have a lot of 'irons in the fire' and won't do anything on that particular project. I did find an article on converting couplers on a MinitrainS steam switching locomotive (a locomotive that is yet to be in production). I think the new company is proceding carefully to see if the market will support its HOn30 efforts and will stick with just the Plymouth for now. I understand Peco has HOn30 (9mm) track...I don't know how it differs from N-gauge.

Again, thanks to all,
Ray

J3a-614

Glad you like what you're getting.

From what I've read, the difference in commercial HOn30 track has more to do with appearance of the ties than anything else.  In narrow gauge, ties tend to be longer and wider spaced in relation to the gauge, and may have been more primitive-looking, at least in some cases.  Basically this comes from the track being narrow, but the ties have to be the same distance apart as  on standard gauge because the the same shovels, ballast forks, and lining bars have to go between them.  Similarly, track spacing between narrow gauge lines, say in a yard, will be almost as great as that of standard gauge, becuase the same-sized brakemen ride the sides of 2-foot and 3-foot boxcars.  Likewise, in steam, a small narrow gauge engine will have a full sized cab, air compressor, and headlight--all standard parts just mounted on a smaller than normal locomotive.

These altered proportions are part of what gives narrow gauge equipment its appeal--including to me, and I'm a big-steam fan!

Just to get you started, although the road resembles more a typical standard gauge shortlline, are some links to a narrow-gauger in my area, the famous 3-foot gauge East Broad Top Railroad & Coal Company.

http://www.ebtrr.com/index.php

http://www.spikesys.com/EBT/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUNXgSkYxOA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFC_9szfA5c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8kpj53hWg4&feature=related

Enjoy!

Doneldon

wt-

Three or four new Minitrains locos showed up on ebay this evening.  Get 'em while they're hot!

-- D

ebtnut

Be aware - if you run across one of the original Minitrains steam lokies, their operating characteristics left a lot to be desired.  They weren't good at slow running, and were noisy too.  You might be better served by looking at some of the small N scale locos with a view to doing a bit of kit-bashing (new, larger cab for instance) to get what you need. 

Doneldon

Similarly, track spacing between narrow gauge lines, say in a yard, will be almost as great as that of standard gauge, becuase the same-sized brakemen ride the sides of 2-foot and 3-foot boxcars.  Likewise, in steam, a small narrow gauge engine will have a full sized cab

J3a-

Are you certain about this?  I always heard that narrow gauge railroads only hired operating personnel who were under 5'2" and 120 lbs.  They wouldn't stick out nearly as far as people my size, particularly to the front and rear.
                                                                                             -- D

J3a-614

I know something of what you mean; I've developed the same fit problem in seats on the EBT myself.

Speaking of the EBT, that is one road that can use relatively slim personel, particularly in the cabs of the three biggest engines, 16. 17. and 18.  All of EBT's 2-8-2s are what would be called "deckless" engines, in that the boiler and firebox come back into the cab, clear to the rear wall; the engineer rides between the side of the firebox and the side of the cab, and the controls, including the air brake handles, are high up, while the fireman actually works from the tender.  It's very much like a camelback for both men in those regards, and the three larger engines add to the tight fit by being relatively fat.

Strasburg's 475 (the 4-8-0) is the same way; I've heard that the road's crews call the engine "the telephone booth."

The 2-foot gauge Monson's Forneys (which still run in Maine) do not have that particular problem, but they have for decades been notorious as skull knockers because of their low cab roofs.

I will be linking up more footage for inspirational purposes; anticipate!