News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Polar Express

Started by WTierce1, July 14, 2010, 02:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

What if Bachmann made an HO Polar Express? I don't think it would be hard to make the loco because Bachmann already has a HO Scale Pere Marquette 1225 Steam Loco. All they would wave to do is remove the writing off the generator dome and put Polar Express on the tender. I just wish they would watch the scene where the loco pulls up in front of the boys house so they could get the writing color right. Lionel's Polar Express has the wrong color writing. It is supposed to be white but on the model it is gold. I think it would also be easier to make a P.E. Layout in a smaller space. If bachmann did make a P.E. HO model they would be the first to. I have plenty of ideas for it way to complicated to put on here.

-W
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

OldTimer

He who owns the copyright gets to decide who's tender gets "Polar Express" put on it.
Just workin' on the railroad.

Doneldon

wt-

Old Timer is right about the trademark/copyright issue.  Bachmann could obtain the rights but I doubt if there's enough interest this long after the movie.  Yes, I know you can still buy the book or the movie, but I still don't think there is enough interest any longer.  Besides, it isn't just re-lettering a loco.  The cars would need new paint configurations and lettering.  Plus, you'd really need interiors in something like this, which would raise the prices pretty high.

Why not do it yourself?  I did a Polar Express to run on a preschoolers wooden railway and now am building one for his HO layout. 

I sprayed the cars for the wooden set gray, painted the roofs and used homemade decals for the sides and ends of all of the cars.  One even played the Polar Express song.  I purchased some white fabric paint with glitter to weather the loco and cars.  That looks super.  The trick is to mostly spread it thin and shape it like it's been sculpted by the wind.  Don't try to cover everything with the snow paint.

For the HO train, I'm using a Bachmann Berk and repainting heavyweight passenger cars.  I'll have interiors and put sound in the mail/baggage car (letters to Santa and gift delivery).  I'll use the glitter paint again and might even put the hobo on the roof.  I think a lone child in the lighted observation will be quite touching, as it is in the story.  I'd like to have the loco's bell sound like the little one which Santa gives the boy but I'm not sure I'll be able to pull that off.
                                                                                         -- D

Chessie Sys. 3022

Quote from: wtierce on July 14, 2010, 02:33:04 PM
What if Bachmann made an HO Polar Express? I don't think it would be hard to make the loco because Bachmann already has a HO Scale Pere Marquette 1225 Steam Loco. All they would wave to do is remove the writing off the generator dome and put Polar Express on the tender. I just wish they would watch the scene where the loco pulls up in front of the boys house so they could get the writing color right. Lionel's Polar Express has the wrong color writing. It is supposed to be white but on the model it is gold. I think it would also be easier to make a P.E. Layout in a smaller space. If bachmann did make a P.E. HO model they would be the first to. I have plenty of ideas for it way to complicated to put on here.

-W

The thing is is that Bachmann isn't as cheap as a company like Hornby that just takes other toolings and puts different paint on it. Just like with the Thomas line, they'd make new moldings for the trains and it would be more work than you think.

ryeguyisme

The actual thought that theres no more popularity in it, is highly doubtful, I have to fight people tooth and nail to get polar express lionel Items, the coaches can go for well over 40 sometimes, its crazy, I lucked out buying an observation, coach and baggage for $44 for the whole lot, surprised someone else didnt go for it

sparkyjay31

I agree with the other posters.  Make it yourself.  The lettering is easy enough.
http://sites.google.com/site/lewismodelrailroad/Home

Click the link above, go to Winter 2009, and see my 9 year olds Polar Express he build himself.
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Doneldon

sparky-

That's a pretty talented nine-year-old you have there.  Did he do the rest of the work on the railroad, too?

-- D

sparkyjay31

We are a team and take on the projects that way.  Having fun is what it's all about!!!
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

RBMN #425 Fan

Quote from: Justin on July 14, 2010, 04:07:53 PM

-W

The thing is is that Bachmann isn't as cheap as a company like Hornby that just takes other toolings and puts different paint on it. Just like with the Thomas line, they'd make new moldings for the trains and it would be more work than you think.
well in this case, the polar express engine is the same engine as pere marquette 1225. i don't think bachmann will make a new mold for an engine they already have
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

Michigan Railfan

All they would wave to do is remove the writing off the generator dome and put Polar Express on the tender. I just wish they would watch the scene where the loco pulls up in front of the boys house so they could get the writing color right. Lionel's Polar Express has the wrong color writing. It is supposed to be white but on the model it is gold.

Actually, you're wrong on that. The writing on the tender is in fact gold. Trust me, i've seen the engine in real life and even got to climb in the cab and ring the bell. It's not far from where I live in Brownstown, Michigan. The engines tender still had Polar Express written on the side from when they shot the movie, and it was in fact gold. That beats just one scene in the movie.

full maxx

I would buy a Polar Express in HO if anybody made one ... that's what we were looking for when we got into trains and were gonna paint the New York Central set to look like it but the guy wanted like $120.00 to paint the three cars and said there would be no lettering
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

OldTimer

Just my personal opinion, but part of what makes model railroading a great hobby is the challenges that it throws at us.  If you want a Polar Express in HO, model railroading is challenging you to make one.  I remember seeing this Lionel train set in a local store a few years ago.  Seems like it was a Berkshire with two heavy weight coaches and a HW observation.  
There are a few issues involved in making an HO version of this set.
1.  First, I would NOT try to make an exact copy of the Lionel set.  The cars are less than scale length and the locomotive has lots of compromises to allow it to operate on small radius track.  Not to say that you couldn't make an exact copy if you chose to accept that challenge.  
2.  The equipment is available.  Bachmann currently makes a 2-8-4 and heavy weight passenger cars are available from Walthers and Bachmann, Athearn, Rivarossi and IHC cars are usually available on e-Bay.
3.  Painting:  I think the loco was black, so it should be okay.  The cars will have to be painted.  From illustrations I've seen, the cars are light gray with a maroon window stripe.  I'd strip the cars first, then paint the window stripe, mask the stripe and paint the body.  The roof might be black...I can't tell.  But the roofs come out of most of these cars and that's how I'd paint it.
4.  Lettering:  Go to the MicroMark web site and check out decal paper.  You can make decals with your computer printer, either ink-jet or laser.  Lot's easier than in the old days when I had to letter Mantua brass passenger cars for "Brady Springs and Western" one letter at a time from an alphabet and numbers decal sheet.
Unless you got an undecorated version, you'll have to remove the lettering from the loco .  Several methods have been discussed here before.  Solvaset can work, and some folks have luck with a soft pencil eraser.  Make new decals just like you did for the passenger cars.
So there's your outline.  If you want it bad enough, you'll figure out how to accept the challenge and make it.  If you don't want it that bad, don't whine.
Just workin' on the railroad.

M.Robinson

Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on July 16, 2010, 11:42:26 AM

Actually, you're wrong on that. The writing on the tender is in fact gold. Trust me, i've seen the engine in real life and even got to climb in the cab and ring the bell. It's not far from where I live in Brownstown, Michigan. The engines tender still had Polar Express written on the side from when they shot the movie, and it was in fact gold. That beats just one scene in the movie.

The movie was computer animated!

WTierce1

And it still had WHITE WRIGHTING!!!
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: M.Robinson on July 22, 2010, 03:31:44 AM
Quote from: Blink_182_Fan on July 16, 2010, 11:42:26 AM

The movie was computer animated!

You are very correct on that, but, they still used the engine for shots. I can't remember just exactly what the tour guide was saying about it, but they did use the engine for several things in the movie. They mainly used the blueprints of the engine, but took shots of the engine so they recreate it on screen.
Wtierce, we are talking about the color on the tender, right? If so I still think it's gold. Look at pictures of when 1225 still had "Polar Express" on her tender. You'll notice it's gold. It still had Polar Express on it when I went and seen it, and it was gold.