I need to know the scale of a vintage track I have

Started by robertscountrylady@eastex, May 22, 2007, 11:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertscountrylady@eastex

I have a vintage metal train track. The track has 3 rails and measures 1  5/16 inches between the outer rails. This is measured from inside to inside. Can someone please tell me what scale this is so that I might be able to purchase a train for this track. Thanks for any help.

Dusten Barefoot

It might be Standerd scale track by lionel or you can look it up on google.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

SteamGene

This would be O gauge tin plate, like Lionel.  The curve of the curved track would determine if it is O gauge or 0-27.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Not sure what you mean by curve of the track. I am wanting to know what the scale is so that I know what type train to buy. Thanks.

SteamGene

Buy Lionel.  Take a piece of curved track to a place that sells Lionel and they can tell you if you have O gauge or O-27.  Model trains, as a rule, go by gauge, not scale.  But O gauge is approximately 1/4" = 1 foot.  Lionel is high rail or semi-scale and actually is not 1/4 inch. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

I  live in the country boonies. No train places around.  This is a very small track only consist of 8 curved pieces and only 4 straight pieces.  I want to buy a train online to run on this track. But I do not know what kind to buy.  Thanks.

Jonathan MacCormack

You might want to try Caboose Hobbies in Colorado by e-mail for an answer. At least you will get straight talk.

Jonathan

msowsun

Assemble the curved track in a circle. Measure the circle.  If it is about 27" in diameter, then you have O-27 track.

If it is about 72", then you have O-72 track. There are some other sizes as well:

http://www.thortrains.net/TINO1.HTM

O.K. I put all the curved pieces together and from outside to outside it measured 26  1/2 inches across.  But this still does not help me are tell me what type train I need to buy.  So sorry to seem so dumb but I know nothing about trains except that I want one for this track and don't want to buy the wrong size and then it won't work on the track. Thanks for everyone's help.

Atlantic Central

Like Gene said, you need a Lionel or other three rail O guage train that is Lionel compatable, like those made by MTH, K-Line(now part of Lionel) and others.

Sheldon

JerryB

robertscountrylady@eastex:

Sounds like the track you have is Lionel 0-27 three rail. That is nominally 0-Scale tinplate with 27" diameter curves.

If you plan on using this track, you will need trains designed for three rail operation. That means you will have somewhat limited choices in terms of manufacturers and equipment.

Google "0-27 Three Rail Trains" and you will get thousands of hits from suppliers, interest groups and web sites.

Bachmann doesn't make any equipment for your track.

Hope this helps.

Happy RRing,

Jerry Bowers
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Hunt

Quote from: robertscountrylady@eastex on May 22, 2007, 11:06:41 AM
I have a vintage metal train track. ...
Is your track heavily rusted? If yes, you will better off buying new track that goes with a train you like.

What do you have to connect to the track to power a locomotive?

Paul M.

Quote from: Hunt on May 22, 2007, 06:11:15 PM
Quote from: robertscountrylady@eastex on May 22, 2007, 11:06:41 AM
I have a vintage metal train track. ...
Is your track heavily rusted? If yes, you will better off buying new track that goes with a train you like.

What do you have to connect to the track to power a locomotive?

Or you could buy an abrasive cleaning bar to clean off the rust.

Or you could use vinegar to clean off the rust.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to buy O scale, 0-27 type, 3-railed equipment. You also need to buy a transformer for the track and either Lionel or some other manufacturer's O scale equipment.

Hope this help,
Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Paul M.

PS-

equipment= locomotive, freight cars and caboose

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Jonathan MacCormack

Robert,

I still suggest calling Caboose Hobbies in Colorado on their toll free line for
assistance and answer to your question. They can then help you purchase the train you are looking for.

Jerry B (above) comes close to helping with info.

Jonathan