Storage boxes for model trains

Started by Stephen Warrington, May 22, 2007, 02:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

Hi Guys,

I was wondering what do you do when the original box is to shortor small for the finished model? Good example Athearn BB 50' boxcars once you add Kadees the boxx is to short for the car with out the couplers being putin a strain. Or an Atlas U33C once the hand rails have been added they won't fit back into the Styrofoam inserts?

I am one that don't believe in throwing away boxes. I have almost all my Original HO boxes and 90% of the boxes my G scale came in including original shipping boxes. Heck I even keep my model ship boxes and we all know once we build that Prized model of the Mighty MO or the Bismarck they won't never fit back in the Box.
Thanks
Stephen

SteamGene

Stephen,
An Athearn 50' boxcar will not fit in the old blue box, but it will fit in an Accurail box while an Accurail 40' will fit in the Athearn box.  A label on top and side identifies what is actually inside.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

GN.2-6-8-0

I have seen those that would cut small opening in the ends to accomodate kadees but the best thing to do if you really wish to hang onto those old rolling stock boxs is store them away and in my case i use computer keyboard or similar  boxs lined with 1/4 foam top and bottom to store multiple pieces of rolling stock in.
Just try to keep the car length's the same.
You can also write needed information on the lid.
Car type
car length
Kadd Coupler's installed
Metal wheels installed
Etc.
Rocky Lives