News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Snow Effects for White Pass Set

Started by Alex Butner, July 17, 2010, 12:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Butner

What is a safe, plastic, bachmann big haulers friendly snow that can be sprayed on the 90059 set without ruining it and that won't kill people from it's fumes? (I don't want to use anything deadly on it)

on30gn15

Probably with any brand the solvent that keeps the snow liquid enough to spray is going to be quite a risk to interact with the train's paint.

Even paints have odd reactions with the train's paint.
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

Is this for a temporary application or permanent?

Doneldon

Alex-

I don't know about spraying it but I had great success winterizing a Polar Express for my grandson using clear with glitter and white with glitter fabric paints from Michaels'  One was great for snow, with just a touch of sparkle, and the other made very convincing ice.  This material is fairly thick so it's possible to "sculpt" it a little so train top snow looks like it's been worked over by the wind.
                                                                                   -- D

Alex Butner

I guess I shouldn't mess with snow and trains.
Snow= ruined paint (which is not good)

NarrowMinded

If it's just for temp use on a Christmas layout get some wax paper and some white glue make some shapes that will fit on your loco where snow might gather and not melt right away dump some baking soda or scenic snow on the shapes let it dry over night dump the extra white powder off the wax paper make sure the glue is dried all the way through. You can stick these on your loco or whatever by wetting the backside and sticking them on. When your done they should come off easy and any residue should clean up with warm water on a soft cloth. 

Be sure and try one on a spot that won't be noticed before you do your whole project, seems like the paints are always changing now days and what worked fine last year wrecks what you bought this year.

NM

tony@skippystrains

Alex, again unless you are looking for a "Permanent" effect, it is best not to touch the train at all.  Over the years, my customers have brought in a few engines, pieces of rolling stock etc. where they had affixed "snow".  After a couple of seasons, they wanted their original piece back.  These pieces either had to be left alone as they where or completely taken down and re- finished if the customer wanted to go that route.  A few did, and they turned out very nicely, however the cost was a wake up call.

Regards,
Tony
Tony Fortunato / Skippy's Train Shed