News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Converting a 2-8-0 to an 0-8-0?

Started by jonathan, July 17, 2010, 02:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

jonathan-

Jewelers' rouge is an easy buy.  You can probably find it at any home store, though it might be in a kit with two or three other grits in bar form for use on a buffing bonnet for a grinder.  All full-service hardware stores will carry it because it isn't just used for jewelry; it can be used on metals for a final polish.  Or, you can use polishing compound in a can like those in which auto waxes are sold.  Be sure to get polishing compound, not rubbing compound which is too course.  In addition to taking the corners off of the gears, you want to leave them as smooth as possible.  In every case, clean out every iota of the abrasive or you'll end up wearing your gears out much faster than you want.

Joe-

Yes, your Prairie should run just fine as an 0-6-0.  The front wheels can't derail if you've removed them so only the drivers have to make the turn.
                                                                                       -- D

jonathan

This is good info, when I start on a brass loco.  Now I'm looking forward to it.

I started tinkering with one of my Connies.  Removing the pilot is not too difficult.  The tricky part was carefully lifting the steam chest, without letting any of the rods/valve gear fall out.  Then the pilot's holding tab slips right out of the frame.

I have already removed about 1/4" from the rear tab of the pilot.  And I drilled a 5/32" hole about 1/4" forward of the original hole.  Next I will have to remove about 1/32" of material from the pilot stand so it doesn't bump the front of the steam chest.  Looks like I can cut away the cow catcher, leaving the font pilot steps in place.  Never looked closely before.  I didn't know both items could be in place at the same time.

The whole thing should slip right back into place when completed.

The last issue will be somehow modifying the stairs so they can be put back in place.  Still pondering that one.

Will post a few pics when I get a chance.

I'm shortening the front 1/4" because that's how much overhang there it when sitting on the 9" turntable.  Then my new road switcher can move back and forth between the junction and the coal mine.  Point to point operations is definitely trickier than continuous running.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Not essential, but a number of roads, including the B&O, and the boys at Peach Creek Shops, also would alter the tenders to a "clear vision" type with a narrowed coal bunker for (marginally) better visibility in backup moves.  

An alternate idea would be to scrounge up a switcher tender somewhere, something like the one Life-Like makes to go with its 0-8-0s and 0-6-0s.

That reminds me--if you do use the original tank, remember to add a back-up light and footboards, per Interstate Commerce Commission requirements in the steam age!

jonathan

I like the original tender.  That will stay in place.  However, I will add the rear steps and a back up light.  I like lights.  Already have a good size piece of brass tube to scratch up a light fixture.  Just have to figure out where to connect the wires.  The loco is DCC ready, so I should be able to tap into the tender's wiring harness.  OY! electrical stuff. OY!

R,

J

pipefitter

Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

jonathan

Don't you love how everthing ends up train related?  My wife just rolls her eyes.

OK, step one is done.  Honestly, it was much harder to get the coupler back in place, than it was to shorten the pilot.  I decided not to cut off the cow catcher for now... just in case I don't like my modification.  It's not too late to put the loco back the way I found it.

Here's a few shots.  Sometimes I don't have good luck with the camera...

Fits on the turntable now.  The other Connie will be double heading with the Kanawha for the big drags.

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S.  Now for the reverse  light.

jonathan

The rear light can.  I used a 5/32" aluminum tube.  GOR bulbs fit in there perfectly.  Fortunately for me, the LHS is out of bulbs right now, so I'm granted a reprieve from wiring.

When I pushed the light can into the 5/32" hole, the paint scraped off the tube.  I'll take a straight pin and gently scribe around the area where the can meets the tender.  That should flake off the excess paint.  Have a look:

Man I need to dust my equipment!

I put the light on the back, instead of the top of the tender, because it's easier--pure laziness.

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S.  Scribing went well.  Excess paint flaked right off--looks good.   Loco still runs well, and negotiates curves and turnouts without issue.  These Spectrum Connies are the best thing on wheels.

Doneldon

Jonathan-

I think your 0-8-0 looks great!  Congratulations on another working modification, if a somewhat faster one than the last.
                                                                                        -- D

jonathan

Thanks, D.

I'm scratching up some tender steps at the moment.  And did you notice somebody forgot to put lift bars on the back of these tenders?  I'm fresh out of brass stanchions.  Looks like a future project.

Will start a new thread when I get some bulbs.  I can't make heads or tails out of the tender's PCB board or wire color coding.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

At the risk of sounding like someone who says "You need to do more work!", I thought it might be appropriate to consider adding footboards and a backup light to the other 2-8-0 as well; such a combination was quite common for engines that would be used in secondary service as 2-8-0s were in the late steam era.  In fact, engines as large as 2-8-8-2s had them for mine service in southern West Virginia and Kentucky.

I'll also mention that many a railroad's coal branches didn't bother with turning facilities; very often such mine run engines really did run half their mileage tender-first.  Of course, that didn't do for at least one such C&O branch line that hosted passenger service behind one of the prettiest little Atlantics you ever did see. . .had a turntable out in the woods, just long enough for smaller engines like that. . .wish I could have seen that line, and ridden it, too, along with a lot of others, but I live in the wrong time.

http://www.cohs.org/repository/Archives/cohs/web/cohs-16016.jpg

http://www.cohs.org/repository/Archives/cohs/web/cohs-16248.jpg

jonathan

The beauty of having two of a kind.  If I blow it with one loco, I have the second one that is still original and runs just as well as the other.

If the back up light and tender steps on the first loco turns out well, I will certainly consider tinkering with the second.

You read my mind on my mining run.  As in the real world, the run from my mine to the junction is relatively short.  No reason an engine can't run backwards on one half the trip.  On the other hand, there's the fun of running the turntable.  It's good to have options... :)

Regards,

Jonathan