News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lyn - DCC Ready?

Started by Peter O, July 18, 2010, 01:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter O

So glad to see the Lyn returning to the catalog. It was my first LS engine, but due to numerous problems I sold it on but now look forward to a Mk II with those issues addressed. Thanks.

Do we know yet if it will have the "super socket"  for DCC or the earlier DCC ready kind of setup?

Also, will there be a chuff sensor and if so, mechanical or optical?

Thanks again, Peter.

Udo

Hello Peter!

I suppose you talk about the "Industrial Mogul".
I have bought one about 3 weeks ago at Bachmann Shanghai (this time China is a little faster than the US  :P).
This engine is not "DCC ready". It has the "standard sound equipment" from the big haulers (like the 4-6-0 in the Circus Train, with 9V battery in the tender).
The chuff sensor is also like that (mechanical, with two chuffs per revolution).
I have removed all this equipment from mine and installed an ESU Loksound XL.
Only the original chuff sensor I use for the moment, later I will replace it with a Hall sensor and 4 Magnets.

It is a very nice an cute loco. I also added some 400grams of weight, because the loco slips very easy.

Best regards,

Udo

Udo

Hello Peter !
Sorry, I just saw, that the "Lyn" is not the mogul....
I got a littel confused about the nick names for the locos...
But anyhow, may be the information about the mogul may be helpful too.
Udo
;) ;) ;)

Peter O

No problem Udo. I should have given the 2-4-2T designation to be clearer.

I too have converted an Indy to DCC/Sound, but I took the cheaper route using an MRC 1819 decoder. I have used  the Loksound XL, but I can't get over using a decoder that costs twice the value of the engine. The Loksound is the most powerful decoder I've ever used and I've even modified sound files for other locos, but the MRC has proven to be simple and effective on the small engines.

Peter.

Peter O

Peter O

Great to see the picures of the new Lyn posted on Facebook.

Do we know any more about how the DCC capability will be provided? Socket or the older style DCC ready?

Peter.

calenelson

Quote from: Peter O on November 19, 2010, 08:41:23 PM
Great to see the picures of the new Lyn posted on Facebook.

Do we know any more about how the DCC capability will be provided? Socket or the older style DCC ready?

Peter.

Peter, I viewed the photos after being directed to the Facebook posting to see the new loco...and as backwards as I may be, I can't for the life of me understand why those photos weren't posted on this site as well? Must I remind the powers that be; not everyone in the hobby is a member of FB?

I doubt the Lyn has the AmesSuperSocket (or any variant). It doesn't appear to share the same tender as the Forney and Climax, add that to the really low offered price and I'm led to believe it's hollow on the inside.

cale

I'm sure someone will answer soon, or we may get it in time to answer that one for ourselves?!

the Bach-man

Dear All,
I'm at the WGH in St.Paul, and I don't have one here. We'll check when we return.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Peter O

Bump.

DCC question (to socket or not to socket?)

Delivery date?

Thanks.

calenelson

Quote from: Peter O on July 18, 2010, 01:48:42 PM
So glad to see the Lyn returning to the catalog. It was my first LS engine, but due to numerous problems I sold it on but now look forward to a Mk II with those issues addressed. Thanks.

Do we know yet if it will have the "super socket"  for DCC or the earlier DCC ready kind of setup?

Also, will there be a chuff sensor and if so, mechanical or optical?

Thanks again, Peter.

Bump for Peter...first inquired July 18 10

the Bach-man

Dear all,
There is an eight pin socket with a shorting plug. There is an included speaker which has two leads that will attach to your choice of sound system.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

Peter O

Thanks for the info. I'll be giving some thought to what DCC Sound Decoder might be a good fit (pyhsically and musically).

Peter.

Peter O

So, depending on the stall current, the Loksound Select with the 51953 optional wiring harness might work well and is relatively inexpensive. The amplifier can drive the included 8 ohm speaker with 2 watts of power. Sound set 73147 includes a 2-6-2 Tank engine option which will probably be acceptabe. About $90 all in so it would be nice if it works out.

We shall see!

Peter.