News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

OF 2-8-0

Started by drmsparks, May 22, 2007, 03:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drmsparks

In the Bachmann catalog the Baldwin Outside Frame 2-8-0 Consolidation
Item No.:   25998  Road name:   Painted Unlettered - Black with Red & White Trim is shown with metallic counterweights.  Is this item still produced this way, perhaps with a different item number?  I recently ordered one and received it without the metallic drivers.  I really want the metallic counterweights..

Thank you,

Dave

drmsparks

Thanks for the try but The one I just purchased is an original Bachmann, green box, unopened matching serial numbers but No silver counterweights.  I'm afraid they may have disontinued that part of the paint scheme.  Secondary vendors have just been using bachmann catalog pictures on their website and won't reflect currect production practices.

mmiller

my understanding was the unpainted counterwieghts was a production error, and were only on the first run of the painted, unlettered with white trim models...everything after that first run has the counter weights painted
mike miller
San Juan Pacific Lines
On31.17 California 3' narrow gauge

drmsparks

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1427

Here is the picture from the catalog.  It's the undecorated, red trim.

If a mistake why is it the catalog shot?

I have heard that they may have discontinued it....but don't know for sure, hence the post.

John Tumolo

Check with John Weigel at Peterboro Railroad-I bought mine from him when they first came out, and I'm real glad I got the red trim with the unpainted counterweights.  At first I thought it was going to look dumb, and John told me how I could paint over them, but after watching it run on my layout, I'm leaving them alone.  It really looks impressive watching all the pieces turning while it's running.  Best of luck finding one if they did stop manufacturing them.  John Tumolo  Britcarfan@aol.com

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

If - indeed the 2-8-0 with the red trim does not come with the unpainted counter weights anymore,  let me remind you or inform you that when the engine first appeared there was large negative response to that engine because of the unpainted counter weights.   Both here on this forum and in the On30 conspiracy forum at Yahoo,  many people did not like the appearance,  so maybe Bachmann listened to their customer base.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

scottychaos

If the counterweights are metal (and it sounds like they are)
just take them off and throw them in some paint thinner!  ;D
or just paint them..
either way, simple solution.

Scot

drmsparks

Bob,

I hope the Bachmann doesn't take the guys at the conspiracy too seriously, they'd complain if their ice cream was cold.  I got tired of listening to the "where is it?" "why does it cost so much?" "How come it won't go around a 9" radius"........If there weren't so many good modelers on that list (the silent faction) I'd never check it out.  Thank god for Railroad-Line!

My only issue with the drivers is I bought one off ebay and paid about $15 more than I would have for a non metallic driver version so I wouldn't have to mess with painting the running gear. 

BTW, very nice picture of my other OF280 on your Kimberton update.  This mechanism is going on the passenger version of that engine...

Scott, The existing drivers seem to be plated in a darker metal sceme.  The only option would seem to be painting....

Dave

shayman

Hi All
-mmiller was right about the weights on the 2-8-0. Bachmann did come out and say the unpainted weights were a factory mistake.
Happy railroading all.
shayman
Logging up Deep Creek