Would it be possible...

Started by goldwoodthomas, July 18, 2010, 08:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldwoodthomas

i was just thinking,
would it be possible for me to order British locomotives,
whist i live in the US?

jettrainfan

its possible...but the shipping is what makes it difficult (it cost me $20 alone for shipping for an older British engine i retired at the moment)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

OldTimer

I would think that you could.  I see vendors at train shows selling British and German trains.  Get a copy of Model Railroader and a copy of Railroad Model Craftsman and look at the dealer indexes in the back.
Just workin' on the railroad.

ABC

Quote from: goldwoodthomas on July 18, 2010, 08:29:53 PM
i was just thinking,
would it be possible for me to order British locomotives,
whist i live in the US?
If you want to buy direct from the manufacturer then no, but if you are okay with going to train shows then you could do that, but most European companies either do not ship to the U.S. or the shipping is so expensive that it will cost almost as much as the loco.

the Bach-man

Dear Thomas,
Models11.com
They'll have many choices for you.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

CNE Runner

The difficulties with overseas shipping are: the cost of shipping, and the amount of paperwork Customs requires. I used to sell to Europe - but decided the extra effort wasn't worth the return.

Having said that, I have dealt with a company that seems to specialize in European trains. They were very helpful in procurring some Preiser scenery elements that were unavailable in the U.S. Their website is:
I hope this helps in your search for European train-related items.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Jhanecker2

I don't know about British Trains but Reynaulds Models  has European trains available their in Elburn, Illinois , south of US route 38 (roosevelt road) and  US route 47. They also have an E-mail address :  www. reynauldmodels   . They also carry a good deal of accesories. I have only been in there a few times and bought a couple of items so I don't know if they are in- expensive but the service was good .  Would pass by their place on the way to my siste'rs  house and decided to look in , they had some great displays.  Also stopped in at the Sausage Shop nearby ,  pretty Good sausage for out in the hinterland , but I prefer my favorite Shop in Chicago ( Paulina Market & Sausage Shop) on Lincoln Avenue. John II

bobwrgt

I have been using Ebay UK and Germany for over a year now with no problem. You can find lots of dealers that will ship to the USA. Even factoring in the postage cost you can get some pretty good bargins.
If you have Ebay ID in the USA you can use the same to sign in on the UK and Germany Ebay.
Hattons in England will also ship to the USA. They carry Bachmann OO gauge that runs on HO track.
I just received a Liliput BR 42 German engine from a dealer in China and it may be crazy but i also got a Bachmann China engine OJ Steamer from England. Both were new with no problems.

Bob

ABC

Quote from: bobwrgt on July 19, 2010, 08:45:23 PM
I have been using Ebay UK and Germany for over a year now with no problem. You can find lots of dealers that will ship to the USA. Even factoring in the postage cost you can get some pretty good bargins.
Sure shipping costs on ebay aren't too bad, but I talking strictly direct from the manufacturer or its principal dealers, which charge a ton for shipping because they include insurance and other extra services like tracking/confirmation and they have to account for packaging materials (they usually use more packing materials when shipping overseas or longer distances). But if you buy on ebay remember: buyer beware, that is why it is sometime better to go through the manufacturer in these situations. Because if your item is defective or needs returned and you got it on ebay it will cost you around $25 to send it back insured, plus you won't get the seller's shipping charges reimbursed which could be around $40.

Doneldon

Along this line, has anyone purchased ebay items from China?  There are quite a few listings, especially for locos and such-like.  Even brass.  I've not made a major purchase myself but I did order one of the HO models of the special train that goes to Tibet (pressurized, O2, etc.  It arrived in a timely manner albeit without the bulky outside packaging.

I ask about this because I'm aware there's a major problem with counterfeit coins from China.  I doubt that it would pay to have a counterfeit production line for brass locos, but there could be items which failed quality control being sold directly and illicitly.

Just wondering about others' experiences.
                                                                                                    -- D

bobwrgt

Like i said, I just purchased a new Liliput Br 42 German engine from China. It was shipped insured and arrived just fine in 14 days. Runs perfect and no factory defects. I payed $135.00 less than i would  have from the US, UK or Germany. You can ask to have the engine tested before it ships.
I figure I have saved over $1500.00 in the last year just shopping around and purchasing from other countries . I have over 100 HO engines and have yet to return one to the dealer or factory for warrantry or replacement. Never had to file an insurance claim with the shipper.
I have also purchased lots of trees for my layout from China and I'm very happy with them.
Remember Ebay and Pay Pal both offer Buyer Protection at no charge. You don't get this when you purchase direct with your credit card. They will negotiate with the seller and refund your money if there is a problem.

Bob

Joe Satnik

Dear GWT,

"Model Train Classics" in western Wisconsin does a surprising amount of British Outline business.

www.modeltrainclassics.com

Ask for Charlie. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Jim Banner

I have bought a number of items from China, including Hong Kong.  Mostly electronics.  Always first class merchandise and excellent service.  I don't know how they do it, but shipping from China takes less time and costs only a fraction as much as shipping from the US.  Watch out, though.  Some of the sellers are catching on to the North American practice of offering unreasonably low But It Now prices then gouging you on shipping and handling.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.