A big thanks for the Ten Wheeler! Smaller tender please!!!!

Started by skipgear, July 18, 2010, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtpowell

I don't think I should need to consider swapping out a tender on a new locomotive. The manufacture should have done it right from the start. I agree with Williamson.
These loco's are too expensive a commodity to have to FIX the manufactures shortcomings! Do it right the first time or don't do it!

skipgear

Bachmann is counting on the fact that most people won't care or know the difference in the tenders. Unfortunately, that is probably very true.

We have waited so long for a 4-6-0 that I will take what I can get and adjust it to my needs. As the title states, I am happy to have the loco available, irregardless of the tender offered. Even if it had a smaller tender on it, I would probably be changing it anyhow because Bachmann doesn't offer a tender without an extended coal bunker. Most of the 4-6-0's on the B&O had straight side tenders so that is what I will create.

Tenders are easy to build as long as you have a floor with a pick up system to work with. This tender was scratch built over a couple of weekends using a Trix tender floor, Bachmann trucks and styrene.

Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

David Leonard

Tony, how did you make the little "lips" on the tops of the bunker sides? I might try putting bunker extensions on some model tenders, if I could figure that out.

skipgear

It's just a thin strip of styrene glued to the edge of the sheet....

__  <- Styrene Strip .005 x .020 or so.
||
||

I used a piece a little wider than I needed then sanded it back to get the depth I needed on the rib.
Tony Hines

jake_iv

I missed the announcement and can't locate a photo. Can someone steer me to a photo.  Contrary to some of the posts here, many shortline and branch line roads ran the ten wheeler well into the 50's .  The Maryland and Pennsylvania RR had operating 0-6-0, 4-4-0, 4-6-0 and 2-8-0 locos in service up until the day that they ceased operations in Maryland.  They also operated SW, NW2 and GP7 locos.  The steamers all wore boiler top headlamps and some were super heater equipped.  Some tourist roads continue to operate 10 wheelers.  In fact, Canadian Pacific 4-6-0 #972 was operating excursion trains on Ma & Pa trackage in the 1970s.  These units all used short to medium USRA type tenders as befitted a railroad with less than 100 miles of trackage.

If Bachmann does have a 4-6-0 10 wheeler in the pipeline I for one will have to have it and the DCC tender will go to another loco and be replaced by a medium or short USRA tender.  Actually, a tender from the 2-6-2 could be used as a base unit and there are scads of them on eBay and at swap meets

skipgear

Tony Hines

jake_iv

Thank you for the link to the NMRA announcements. 
    I have seen some "carping" about the tender but since I am an ole man I don't mind kit bashing to get the look that I want.  Off the top of my head - the Athearn/Roundhouse small steam tender body can be adapted; the Bachmann 4-4-0 and short USRA tenders are appropiate;  the model Power steam tender body will work for shorter tenders.  All of these can be readily found on the web and at swap meets.  With over 600 shortlines and several hundred abandoned lines since 1930 no manufacturer can produce everything to satisfy everyone!   This new 4-6-0 with a little help will round out my stable of motive power for the Ma & Pa between 1910 and 1955. 
   The Bach 4-4-0 for the Baltimore and Leheigh engines that started the M & P, the MP 4-4-0 for the "new" Americans that lasted until the50's, the Athearn 2-8-0 for the early consolidations; the Bach Baldwin 2-8-0 for the "late" (1910) consolidations; the Bach 0-6-0 for the switchers; the Bach doodle bugs for #61 & #62; the Bach or Atlas GP7/9; Kato NW2 and Life Like SW8's & 9's and now the Bach 4-6-0 retendered.  So I am pretty satisfied - that is better than I could do in HO scale.  The only thing that I lack in N scale is a reasonable running and looking 0-4-0 and a good 4 wheel, 4 window caboose.
caboose.