Locking Peter Witt in the Forward Direction

Started by railstud, July 19, 2010, 11:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railstud

How can I modify the Peter Witt Street Car to always go in the forward direction? When I called customer service the person erroneously directed me to the FAQ for locking the locomotives forward. The locomotive electronics and Peter Witt's are totally different. BTW, when I opened the car I was surprised by the amount of electronic parts and the size of the board. Does this car have capabilities that are not fully described in the standard instructions?

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA USA writes,

It does not appear that there is any way of locking the Peter Witt in one direction, such as forward. I have a WBB Peter Witt, and it did not appear to have a direction lock switch, and the instructions did not mention anything about direction lock.

I'm not entirely sure if Williams trains are equipped with any direction lock features. They are only set up to go Fwd, Neutral, Rev, etc.

I have a Williams FP45, and a  Williams "Postwar Celebration Series" GG1. Those trains are not equipped with direction lock features.

As for the Witt, its capabilities are that the trolley pole is wired to optionally run the Witt from overhead wires.

It would seem that you would need to install a small on/off toggle switch, and wire it to  the direction control board to lock the Witt in one direction, but I imagine that in doing so, might void the warranty.
Sincerely: JP

phillyreading

I don't know about the Peter Witt streetcars, but there have been a few, pre-Bachmann, Williams that have a direction switch on the bottom side of the engine.

I have an SD-45 that has a very small switch under the fuel tank that locks it in one direction. Also the F-7 powered units have a direction switch that locks it in one direction, but the way that switch or circuit board works leaves me wondering if the F-7 powered unit was meant to be run in reverse, as it will lock into reverse after sitting(no power to the engine or off the track) for over an hour. These engines that I mentioned are pre-Bachmann.

Lee F.

Lee Carlson

This seems to be the major flaw with the car.  Otherwise, it's a real honey!
Too bad a little more thought wasn't given to how streetcars operate.  The way it is now, the car is useless on an automated streetcar line.

Lee
Lee Carlson
President,
NYS&W -- Niantic, Yantic, Scantic & Willimantic Traction Co.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

These are made with DC can motors.  "All wheel drive", so either 2 motors each, or 1 motor + a drive link or links.

3Rail would know.     

If you just want one direction AC, just bypass the direction control board with a diode bridge.  Leave the digital bell board hooked up.

I suppose you could get 2 directions (hands free) with some kind of bumper switch triggered at the ends of the line, but who/what is going to change trolley poles?  What about the passengers' whiplashes from the sudden change of direction? 

It gets complicated.     

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

Remember you void :o the warrenty!! :'( So think before you strike!
Using a diode bridge or bridge rectifier, at 6 amp rating and 50volts, as it is called is the best way to lock the car in forward. The + sign is the DC positive output to the motor, the - sign is the negative to the motor, and the track power gets hooked up to the unmarked terminals on the bridge rectifier.

Lee F.

3rail

Dear All,

There are a variety of after market products that allow you to control such things as station stops etc.  without locking the direction.   They also allow for automatic reversing at the end of a point to point track.  There are several companies that make these control boards and one of them is across the aisle form us at the York TCA meet in April and October. (Dallee electronics www.dallee.com) I know that there are several other companies making similar products and I will look into it at the fall TCA meet.

Regards,

3rail

Joe Satnik

Here's an interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_JByOazEC4

Looks like normal operation is forward only, though the "reverse" control is probably used mainly for (dynamic?) braking, which I assume would "charge the line" to save electricity and wear on brake shoes.

Since forward only operation, no need to change direction of the trolley pole.  I assume turn around loops at the end of the line, or dogbone configuration. 

A factory "forward only" option/retro-fit or switch (to choose between reverse board and forward only) would be a nice idea.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.