Whats Your Fav. Bachmann Thomas Item ?

Started by TobyTheTram16, July 20, 2010, 12:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectPercy

Quote from: James The Red Engine on July 28, 2010, 10:47:43 AM
Thomas - The model looks great despite the face.  Good puller, but not too good on hills.

Percy - The model looks great other than the face there's not a gray hook at the back and the cola hopper is the wrong color.  Too light.  Might as well be a truck. :P

James - Real good, but the wheels are gray and the smoke box isn't painted completely.  The model can barely pull 7 trucks.  Despite being a 2-6-0 he can't pull near as much as Edward.

Henry - Real close to the real model except the bottom of the tender is gray.  Good puller, but I have trouble with him pulling 4 express coaches up hills.

Gordon - Same thing as Henry.

Emily - Excellent model, but pulling power isn't one of her high points. :P

Spencer – Looks very much like his TV counterpart.  Pulling power is even better on hills than what I've seen from Gordon.

Toby – Looks great, but nothing special

Mavis – Same as Toby

Salty – same as Toby

Edward – What I believe to be the best model Bachmann has released.  Pulling power is really great for a 4-4-0.
Quote from: shining time on July 28, 2010, 04:45:16 PM
how high is the grade of the hill because i have a small grade and he and Gordon have no problem pulling the 4 express cars s i have and my grade also has a s curve in it

I'm surprised neither of you mentioned the awful pulling power of James and Percy up hills. James is nothing near good on hills. He has trouble with two coaches (even if he may get up in the end).

I recall both of my hills are about the shape of an L and have about 2.5 to 3% grades. (I say this with thinking that the hills run about 9 feet long each and they rise about 3.5 to 4 inches. What are your hills like in comparison?)They are at a mid-range steepness for a model railway in my eyes. James should be able to pull 3 coaches up my hills at least and that is why I am having a terrible attempt at adding the proper weight to James' body to get more traction.

Percy and Edward are O.K. with hills. I say this because there seems to be a smell coming from the motor after a charge up the hill. (Is this bad? Someone please tell me if it is bad on the engines.) They can get up 3 coaches with little struggle.

Thomas (I don't know what is wrong with yours James the Red Engine), Toby, Mavis, and Salty have more power than they need. They can each easily pull 3 coaches up a hill.

Emily is as bad as James, maybe a bit better but not much. I give the model credit having only 2 drive wheels though. She is sufficient.

Henry, Gordon, and Spencer are very powerful and have pulling power meeting their needs. I can get 6 express coaches behind each of them going up a hill with not a touch of wheel slip.

So all in all, the only engine I truly have complaints with is James. All the others have there flaws here and there (some none at all (*huge cough* Thomas, Gordon, Henry, Spencer, Edward, Toby, Emily Mavis, Salty *cough*)), but being toys, they are perfect in my eyes. Compared to some people I'm seriously a beginner at this, but these little errors can be fixed with a lick of paint. ;D

RBMN #425 Fan

my james's motor keeps stalling out. and it was good of bachmann to make emily with four drive wheels instead of 2 and my mavis can pull  14 frieght cars (plus brakevan) up a 2.75% grade (i don't mean to post this twice :-[ :))
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

James The Red Engine

Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on July 30, 2010, 12:18:22 AM
I'm surprised neither of you mentioned the awful pulling power of James and Percy up hills. James is nothing near good on hills. He has trouble with two coaches (even if he may get up in the end).

I did state about Percy and James pulling power. :P

shining time

hey perfectpercy these are the engines and how many cars they can pull up my hill
James 7-8 if not loaded
Percy 5-6 same as James
Henry 4 express coaches or 13 freight cars
Gordon same as Henry
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

PerfectPercy

Quote from: James The Red Engine on July 31, 2010, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: PerfectPercy311 on July 30, 2010, 12:18:22 AM

I did state about Percy and James pulling power. :P

Not specifically with Percy's pulling power.

Has anyone found how to add weight to James so he can pull cars up hills?

James The Red Engine

I melted down lead weight and casted it to fit in James, Thomas, and Percy.

PerfectPercy

Where were you able to fit the weight in the front part of his boiler? I know where space can be found in the literal inside of the cab, but not much else.

Thanks

thomasforever1

thomasj219

Another Thomas refrence, Whistles & Sneezes. ;)
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

branmas

my top three engines are:  #1 thomas #2 Edward and #3 Henry.                                                         

Bluecoatscheesypoofs

Mail car
Brake van
6 ton wagon
well wagon
Thomas holiday set

Overall: Mail Car

MetaDude27

Even though they haven't been released yet, my favorite Bachmann thomas engines are (or will be, I should say ;)) Donald and Douglas.  I just know the models will be amazing! ;D  P.S. If this counts as digging up an old topic, my apologies.

TheJJ

Favorites for me are..1) Bill and Ben 2) Edward 3) Spencer (D & D will be 2 when I see the pictures)

AJWPRODUCTIONS

my apologys for diging this up once more but out of all the engines I've got edward

JD417