Started by tom thornton2000, July 22, 2010, 09:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom thornton2000

Please, how can I tell the difference between the HO AmFleet cars
-13106-13107-13108- 13109----
I own one , didnt keep box  & now would like to get another
to match, but can find no markings  on what I have

In looking at online photos & descriptions can find no difference
in catalog there are 7 versions  all look same ...

anyone know ?????

OldTimer

From the Bachmann catalog, it appears that 13106 and 13107 have slightly different lettering.  The real cars have number boards.  I'm guessing that the photos I've seen of the models just don't have enough resolution to let me pick out a number.  Have you actually seen the other cars or are you just working from catalog pics?  I bet if you go to your LHS and look at the cars, you'll be able to pick out differences.  Otherwise, there'd be no point in Bachmann giving them different part numbers.
Just workin' on the railroad.

ABC

Some of the cars are different phases, look at the stripes to determine the phase.

pipefitter

Quote from: tom thornton2000 on July 22, 2010, 09:02:24 AM
Please, how can I tell the difference between the HO AmFleet cars
-13106-13107-13108- 13109 ... ...In looking at online photos & descriptions can find no difference in catalog there are 7 versions  all look same ...

Well there's a lot to be confused about here if you're not familiar with the jargon. I'm looking at the catalog on page 72. These tubular shaped cars are called "Amfleet" by the railroad. They built them in two slightly different designs which they call "phase I" and "phase II." Difference is mainly the size of the windows. All of the Bachmann models are the "phase I" design or "Amfleet I"

However there is another "phase" designation which refers to the paint schemes these cars have carried as Amtrak has changed its colors over the years. The 13106 is a "phase II" paint scheme coach. 13107 is a "phase III" paint scheme coach. 13108 is "phase IV" paint scheme coach, and 13109 is a "Acela" paint scheme coach which is the latest version. Also 13116 is a "phase V" paint scheme coach.

The Bachmann models also come in two different configurations, coach and café (which is a food service car). The coach has an even row of windows along the length of the car. The café has a "no-window" section in the middle of the car (where the food counter is) and windows on either end of the car. So you can see that Bachmann cars come in two different configurations, coach and café, and in five different paint schemes.

Look here for more information, with pictures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak_paint_schemes

So your car is either a coach or a café. A train would have one or no café, but would have two or more coaches. Here's the basic paint schemes:

(Bachmann doesn't make Phase I nicknamed "pointless arrow")

Phase II Wide red over wide blue stripe separated by a thin white pinstripe with additional thin white pinstripe above and below (Look at the Wiki pictures)

Phase III is three equal width red white and blue stripes

Phase IV is a wide blue stripe topped with thin red and white stripes

Acela (nicknamed "Splotch") is the light blue stripe scheme with the odd abstract, triangular Acela "splotches" on it.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have any more questions :)

Cheers, Robert

Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

tom thornton2000

I think I understand,
now I'll go to Kliens and see which they have

Thank you !!!!

Doneldon

tom-

The Walthers catalog has illustrations of just about every itteration of AMTRAK paint schemes.  You can look online or at your LHS.
                                                                                                 -- D

pipefitter

Quote from: pipefitter on July 22, 2010, 05:02:00 PM... (Bachmann doesn't make Phase I nicknamed "pointless arrow") ...

Not to confuse Tom, but I've been thinking about this, and seemed to remember a phase I paint on a Bachmann Amfleet car, and I found it. It's on the old Bachmann Metroliner sets which now go for very dear prices on eBay. The Metroliners consisted of (I think) the very first Amfleet cars. Electrified they ran on the NE Corridor with a power car on one end and a cab control car on the other end. The power cars were Amfleet I's with an added cab and electrical section and traction motor powered trucks, and the cab cars had just an additional cab section.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Metroliner

Some of the cab cars survive today and are in use on push-pull trains. Here's a picture of a Bachmann model cab/power car. It has the phase I, "pointless arrow" paint. The phase II paint is essentially the same without the arrow logo.
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

CAB_IV

Quote from: pipefitter on July 24, 2010, 03:52:00 PM
The Metroliners consisted of (I think) the very first Amfleet cars. Electrified they ran on the NE Corridor with a power car on one end and a cab control car on the other end. The power cars were Amfleet I's with an added cab and electrical section and traction motor powered trucks, and the cab cars had just an additional cab section.

I'd hate to correct, but this is wrong.   

The Metroliners dated from the final days of the PRR (1968), and ran for a while before amtrak showed up under the Penn Central.   Actual Amfleet cars didn't show up until HEP (head end power) became equipped on locomotives like the F40PH, P30CH, and E60CH (about the mid 70s).  Up until those engines arrived, everything was still steam heat.   The Metroliners had a reputation for being the "new" thing (relative to the ancient budds and pullmans), and its no surprise they had an Amfleet made in the Metroliner's image.

Each Metroliner EMU car was it's own unit.   All Metroliner cars had all the gear and equipment it needed to run self sufficiently.  They were set up in semi-permanent pairs, but could easily be made to mix and match   (5 and 3 car trains did happen).  As a rule,  they had one car facing each way (having to turn the MUs around with negate the purpose of an MU).

The Phase II paint also has a different face,   but i've seen all sorts of in between paint jobs, as well as all manners of patches and left over penn central logos. many cars never got the bachmann scheme.  Generally, most metroliners got repainted into the Phase II when they were rebuilt by GE into what some call "capitaliners".