News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mt Washington trip

Started by richg, July 22, 2010, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richg

My girlfriend and I are going to the cog railway around the middle of Aug. Looking for reasonable price accommodations. We are 70 and non smokers. We don't require a huge room. Clean, decent, shower, double bed, maybe wireless. We eat out. Maybe only one and at most two nights. We have AARP and AAA cards also.

I have looked at the cog site and see the steamer runs at 9am which is what we want. Would it be advisable to order the ride tickets online? We plan to be there during the week, not the weekend. Yes, we will bring jackets for the ride.
Maybe get in some hiking also.

I am hoping to find someone who has been there recently. I am searching Google for Conway also as we would like to take that in also.

Thanks.

Rich

Guilford Guy

The Notchland Inn is right next to the Conway Scenic line in that area. Good food, good rooms, good location.
Alex

GlennW

Since diesels are replacing the old steamers, it would be smart to get tickets in advance. I don't know if Mt Washington offers "reservations" but having tickets should put you closer to the front of the line. I forget how large the coaches are. With a big crowd, you may have to wait for the next train. Enjoy your trip! Mt Washington does a good job providing service.  Bring a camera! We want to see pictures.

Guilford Guy

Yes, if you want a steam trip get there for the 9am departure. I believe tickets for this trip are more expensive than those behind, or in this case, in front of the diesels.
Alex

terry2foot

It can get very cold up Mt Washington, even in August, take plenty of layers!

We went up the cog about 15 years ago, and reasonable price accommodation was easier to find around the N Conway and I93? corridor, but just be careful of driving fast in the early morning. Have seen bears, moose and fishers? on the road.

Enjoy your trip,

Terry2foot

ABC

Bears as in the animals or as in the cops? Or both?

richg

Leaving shortly for NH. Have warm clothes also. Plenty of camera media and batteries.

Someone in another forum made me aware of the below site which is not too far from Conway.

http://hartmannrr.com/

Rich

pipefitter

Have a safe and enjoyable trip! :D

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

jerryl

Bring warm clothes if you plan on spending any time at the top.  we went a few years ago & when the brakeman left the train to add water he put on a jacket. The next stop was to switch to a siding to let a descending train pass & he put on a jacket & hat. The last stop before reaching the top required a heavy coat, hat & gloves.....He was there before. 

NMWTRR

Yes enjoy the trip and hope you get the steam engine. Someone posted a video and it really looked amazing to watch in action.

richg

Had a great trip. THREE CLEAR DAYS at Mt Washington. Amazing.

Offensive part of message removed.

Rich

richg

Discussion removed

Rich

Doneldon

rich-

The biodiesels are certainly cleaner than a steam engine, at least from the standpoint of soot and visible smoke.  However, what it's called notwithstanding, biodiesels burn a hydrocarbon and consequently pump lots of CO2 into the atmosphere. 

Maybe this is just one of my pet peeves but I get perturbed by the implication that energy is clean as long as it isn't petroleum-, gas- or coal-based.  The fact is, anything which oxidizes hydrocarbons, even a campfire burning deadfall, pollutes.  And electricity isn't much better, except for an efficiency factor, because most of it is produced by burning hydrocarbons.  Basically, unless it is nuclear, solar, hydro, tidal or wind it produces vast quantities of CO2.  Why, we animals even discharge CO2 because we burn hydrocarbons.  (But we call it bread or sugar or meat or dairy or, God save us all, even fruits and vegetables.)
                                                                                                          -- D

richg

Some videos. Yes, the train shook quite a lot.

The XXX diesel was a lot quieter ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsCnhT9i7xQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=538xGmcPC84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvAx0p06Yc8

Not the best but the camera is primarily for still photos.

Rich

Doneldon

rich-

Upon reflection I am concerned that my rant last evening might be taken as an insult to you.  Nothing could be further from the truth; it was simply an expression of my frustration with some of the "green" information in the world.  I apologize if it sounded personal.  It most certainly wasn't intended that way.
                                                                                          -- D