expanding layout - type of track

Started by frank moorhead, July 23, 2010, 09:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank moorhead

hi-
i'm planning an expansion of an HO layout with existing brass track. at the local hobby shop, i was considering using nickle silver for the expansion. another customer indicated that i was headed for electrical problems if i did this. apparently there can be damage to the locomotives motors. the lhs owner had not heard of this before. any experiences would be appreciated.  --  frank

ABC

I have a few pieces of brass and steel alloy track mixed in with all of my nickel-silver and don't usually have a problem as long as I clean it every few months. But, if you are going the DCC route then you could have a problem with pick-up, but as long as you keep the track clean it doesn't make much of a difference.

mabloodhound

You will not damage the locomotives!   There might be some difference in conductivity but keeping it clean will prevent any problem.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

ebtbob

Frank,

Glad to hear you are considering using nickel silver track for your expansion as basically,  that is all that is made anymore.   Brass track is not manufactured anymore save for large scale trains.   And the other info you got on possible damage to engine motors is correct,  mixing track will do no damage.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jim Banner

I would like to meet the guy that told you mixed track would damage a locomotive's motor.  I have some beautiful lake front property in Death Valley that he might be interested in.  I would love to tell him about the miles and miles of beach.

I have been running on a mixture of nickel silver, brass, plated steel and bare steel track for a quarter of a century and none of it has caused any problems.  They all perform equally well if oiled regularly (once or sometimes twice a year) and cleaned occasionally (about every five years.)  Nickel silver is today's standard, but there is certainly no reason to rip up your existing brass.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe323

I use Nickle Silver and steel on my layout without any issues.  Provided that you have enough feeders and keep the track clean I see no reason you cannot mix track. 

However I purchase nickel silver when buying new track.

OldTimer

Maybe this guy is thinking of the Aluminum/Copper house wiring problems of 40 years ago?  hmmm.  By the way, that had NOTHING to do with train track.  A big zinc production facility blew up in Pittsburgh yesterday and someone will no doubt come to the conclusion  that copper alloys that contain zinc (like nickel silver) are somehow dangerous.  sheesh!
Just workin' on the railroad.

rogertra

Quote from: frank moorhead on July 23, 2010, 09:04:49 AM
hi-
i'm planning an expansion of an HO layout with existing brass track. at the local hobby shop, i was considering using nickle silver for the expansion. another customer indicated that i was headed for electrical problems if i did this. apparently there can be damage to the locomotives motors. the lhs owner had not heard of this before. any experiences would be appreciated.  --  frank

The guy that told you the above was blowing smoke out of his [insert suitable finish].

Nickle silver is the best option, brass and steel are the worst.  Brass oxidises and steel rusts.

NarrowMinded

Quote from: OldTimer on January 21, 1974, 05:02:21 AMsomeone will no doubt come to the conclusion  that copper alloys that contain zinc (like nickel silver) are somehow dangerous.  sheesh!

If they do they can send all their dangerous pennies to me.

NM

jward

my experiance with all three types of rail are similar to the others.

first, i have NEVER heard of nickle silver rail damaging a motor, EVER......

second, i have noticed that for some reason brass track seems to require less cleaning than nickle silver, if you are running dcc. i wonder if the dcc signal has some sort of ultrasonic cleaning effect similar to the old relco track cleaners from years ago?

third, i would highly recommend staying away from the steel track. not only does it rust, but it is very difficult to solder feeder wires to. you have to use high heat and alot of rosin core flux, which is guaranteed to rust the track where you soldered.

lastly, my dad's layout has mixed brass and nickle silver rail on the oldest part. it's been in continuous use since 1978 with no problems other than routine maintainence.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

frank moorhead

thank you all for your advice
frank

buzz

Hi
Nickle silver is the way to go.
Damaging motors HUH thats a new one on me.
make sure the joints between the different rail old and new types are clean.
and you should not have to many dramas.
You may experience some speed variations between the different metals in the rail.
But that should not be a problem it just means you will have to drive the train according to the prevailing conditions.
regards John.
A model railway can be completed but its never finished