News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas1911's Layout

Started by Thomas1911, July 25, 2010, 03:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas1911

Thanks for the suggestion Jay.  At some point I plan to add a backdrop of some sort and the loop tracks near the front of the layout will be beneath scenery.  So far I have been fairly lucky with my trackwork as far as having derailment issues, though that isn't to say accidents don't happen.  I'll do what I can to prevent them taking a dive.

Doneldon

T1911-

Jay's right.  One idea is to use narrow plexiglass panels which are loosely attached to the sides of the layout or on the fascia.
                                                                                       -- D

Thomas1911

Thanks Doneldon, I will consider that.  Still have much planning, research, and decision-making to do.

Thomas1911

Here are a few progress pics.

Started by building the plywood base for my logging spur track.  Bought some foam sheets to start forming terrain.  All my local Lowe's carried was 1/2"x4'x8' so that's what I got.  Also decided to use what I call the strip method instead of making solid forms.  I find it easier to work with the smaller strips as opposed to trying to cut a larger piece to fit a certain area.  I haven't used nearly as much as I thought I would use either.  With what I've done so far, I've only used not even half of a 4'x8' sheet.  Its fairly rigid with the support ribs I added underneath as well.  I'm waiting on a turnout to finish the trackwork and some tunnel portals and retaining walls to build into the terrain.  Should have them in the mail in the next few days.

I also got around to decaling my steam locos.  The 2-6-6-2 and 2-10-0 are decaled for my fictitious Silver Creek RR and the Shay is decaled for the Silver Creek Logging Co.

Doneldon

T1911-

Looks great.  I like the way you are using the foam in strips and small pieces.  I think I'll try that.

-- D

Thomas1911

Thank you.

When I was researching how people were doing their foam scenery, all I saw was the use of the 2" thick foam sheets.  The thicker foam, I think, kind of forces you to build the solid shapes.  Not only is the thinner foam easier to cut (only need a utility knife), but being able to do the strips seems a lot more controllable and less wasteful.  Instead of having a big piece to whittle down a little at a time to make fit, all I have are a few V-shaped pieces where I've notched to make the strip curve.  And as I mentioned, I don't use near as much material.  I figured I would have needed at least 7 sheets to do the terrain on my layout with the solid method and possibly more.  Right now I'm thinking I won't even use more than 2 sheets.  I don't think it builds as fast as using the thicker foam, but I like that it makes me take my time and allows me to step back and check what I'm doing.

Doneldon

T1911-

I like to make sure that all plaster cloth is two sheets thick.  It really doesn't add much weight (yes, I know it doubles the weight butsince a single layer is so light having two layers still isn't particularly heavy) but there's a lot more strength to the job.
                                                                                                                      -- D

Thomas1911

A little more progress.

Been working slow and steady on the foam terrain.  Coming along nicely I think so far.  Also, ballasted all of the track, except what will be inside tunnels.

Upcoming projects are to power turnout frogs to hopefully cure my loco stalling issue and, of course, keep working on the terrain.  Will need to build some trestles soon as well.

jonathan

Great stuff!  Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards,

Jonathan

WTierce1

Thomas1911, I have someting to say about your trains--
I like them and the shay themost. Someting else that I thought you might like to know is that Bachmann is coming out with a three truck climax in HO. I thought you would like that to go with your logging camp. Peach Creek Shops has good prices on them even in the sound models.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Thomas1911

Thank you.

wtierce, I am aware of the new Climaxes.  I would like to get a second geared loco at some point in the future, whether it be another Shay, a Climax, or finding a Heisler.

Thomas1911

Got a few things done over the last couple months.  Been trying a few different switch arrangements for powering my turnout frogs.  What I've done works, but haven't been entirely happy with any of them.  Thinking I'll just break down and get some of the frog-juicers and save some headache. 

Years ago I bought a RPP SD90MAC shell and chassis, but never did much with it.  Found it in the bottom of a drawer and decided to try and finish it.  Currently, trying to round up all the detail parts, handrails, windows, etc.   Will post some pics when I get a little further along with it.

Bought a ash pit/cinder conveyor kit, built and installed it next to my coaling tower.  It's a little closer to the coaling tower than it would be in real life, but it was kind of an afterthought.  Still need to weather it and need to paint and weather the coaling tower also.

Was looking through some older issues of MR and saw a Walthers ad for the Midstate Marble Products kit and thought it looked like it would make a great starting point for my sawmill.  The kit has been retired for awhile, but found an unbuilt kit on ebay.  Bought it and started putting it together.  Mocked it up on its location on the layout.

Doneldon

1911-

It looks like you're making good progress.  And... it looke like you do GOOD work. 

Have fun with the SD90MAC project.  Are you going to paint it as a hugely futuristic loco running with the old F-units and black iron heavy breathers, or will you relegate them to excursion runs?
                                                                                                                                      -- D

WTierce1

A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Thomas1911

At the moment I'm thinking I'll paint the SD90 to match my SD7's.  Eventually plan to get a few other modern diesels, then I can run a "multi-era" layout.  Be able to run a late steam-transition era up to modern era.

Another thing I've done is I bought a USB interface for my Powercab and downloaded the JMRI Decoderpro software.  This is something I wish I would have done earlier.  Programming is a breeze and the ability to open a throttle on the computer to run another train with is nice.  I even downloaded an app for my iPhone and can use it as a throttle too. Very cool stuff.