News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas1911's Layout

Started by Thomas1911, July 25, 2010, 03:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagnarble

Just a thought that you've probably already had, is to use door skins for backdrop and facia. It cuts easily with a razor knife and it can be fixed to walls with track nails cause it is so light. Merry Christmas

Thomas1911

Yeah, that brown wallpaper doesn't make a very good backdrop, does it?  Not to mention it's ugly as heck.  I've tossed around a few ideas for a backdrop for awhile, but haven't decided for sure what to do yet. 

Thomas1911

Been piddling here and there the last few months, working on my SD90MAC project mostly.  Also bought parts to do a SD60M while I was ordering parts for the SD90 and have been working on them side by side.  I have the SD90 95% finished, just lack a few details.  The SD60 is probably 75%.  It lacks finishing a speaker enclosure, light wiring, and a few shell and frame details.  Both have Tsunami AT-1000 decoders. 

This is the SD90.

Old and New.  SD90 with SD7's.

This is the SD60.  It is slightly further along than shown in this photo, the headlight and ditchlight housings have been installed.

Doneldon

T1911-

Your Silver Creek paint scheme is extraordinary
and your paint job is truly professional quality. I  
am impressed.
                                  -- D

Thomas1911

Thank you for the compliment Doneldon.  I'm pleased with how they've turned out.

WoundedBear

And how the heck do you manage to keep your work area so clean and organized?? You got maid service comes in right? Must have...I knew it.

Nice work, dude.

Sid

Thomas1911

Thanks Sid.  My work area is not all that clean usually.  Most of the time it's covered in tools, papers, parts and pieces of various projects so that only my cutting mat is the only free space.

Thomas1911

Started some semi-major changes to the layout as of recent.  After getting my layout to an operational state and running for awhile, I've come to the conclusion that my engine service facility is just too inconvenient in the back corner.  My main reason for having it is to have a place to store the locos when they're not being used.  Its near impossible to align the turntable without climbing on a step-stool and leaning over the layout to run a loco in or out of the roundhouse or storage tracks.  Not to mention its not incredibly reliable.  I don't mind fiddling with it, but getting to it isn't easy. 

Did some planning and have decided to do some rearranging.  My engine facility and my town/sawmill are going to swap places.  The way I have laid it out lets me stretch out the lead tracks to my engine facility and puts everything in a more user-friendly location.  I'll have room for more fan tracks to store additional locos as well.  The town and sawmill also seem to fit better in the new location, at least on paper.  The only drawback I've come across is that I had to turn my passing siding into the lead tracks for the engine facility.  I will be reworking the old engine facility lead tracks into a new passing siding, but it is significantly shorter.  I have some new track components coming in the mail.  As soon as they arrive and I start laying the new track, I'll see how everything fits together and maybe work in some extra length to the passing siding.

It wasn't easy to decide on ripping up ballasted track of an operating layout, but I think I'll be a lot happier in the long run.  Currently have about half of the track taken up that is going to change and have the turntable relocated.

The original plan is on page 1.

Track Plan Ver. 2

Doneldon

T1911-

I assume your turntable bridge isn't indexed. Depending on how it is built, you may be able to conceal a small strip of carpet under the bridge to hold it in position after you've aligned it. That's an old trick from the days when few turntables were indexed or motorized.
                                                                                                                                                                                         -- D

Thomas1911

No, it isn't indexed.  It is the older-style Walthers 90' model.  The problem isn't so much the tracks becoming mis-aligned after positioning, so much as just getting to the initial alignment.  I have my layout about 56" above the floor.  Trying to see the ends of the rails to align them from 4 feet away at a relatively shallow angle is a challenge.  Now that I have the turntable in its new location, I can already tell how much easier it will be.

This carpet trick, I assume the carpet under the bridge is installed so that it rubs on the bottom of the pit to act as a sort of "damper"?

Doneldon

T1911-

Yes, the carpet is mounted under the bridge with the carpet face facing down.

-- D

Thomas1911

Making progress with the layout changes.  Still have a few sidings to lay and some wiring to complete.  Also, now that the machine shop will be attached to the roundhouse, I need to modify the adjoining wall of the machine shop so it fits to the roundhouse wall.

Also added a Decapod #34 to my fleet.

Jerrys HO

Thomas
Looks great. What brand is your machine shop, I like it.
Jerry

Thomas1911

Here's the newest addition to the roster, a Bowser VO-1000 with Tsunami sound.  Started as a Patapsco & Black River model.  Stripped the logo off the side of the cab and added the black scallop to help hide the remnants, then applied lettering for my roadname.   Other than those few changes, it's straight from the box.