My "Sodor Island" Build Progress

Started by napa15, July 26, 2010, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

napa15

I appreciate all the help and input in my other thread asking for help and guidance concerning the "Sodor Island" layout The Bach-mann constructed. I want to re-create this layout as best I can and think I have a good plan now and have gotten started. Some asked for updates on the progress, so I created a Picasa Photo Album for this purpose. I'll track my progress much like The Bach-mann did (though I'm sure mine won't turn out as nice as his  ;) ) Right now there's not too much in the way of progress, other than I finally got a track plan that appears to be as close to what he has as I can tell. I have nearly all the track purchased for the lower level, except the LH turnouts (why does all this have to be so expensive?  :-\ ) Once I finish the track purchases it will start to take more shape. I will post back with updates as they come.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NAPA15/HOThomasSodorIslandLayout#

jonathan

Perhaps it's just me.  I can't open your link.  Tried a couple of different ways.  I'm not the most PC savvy.

Really want to look at your progress.

Regards,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

Hmm. I can open it, Jonathan. It looks pretty good so far Napa. You have a long ways to go though if you want it to look like Bachmann's  ;) Good luck!

napa15

Not sure why it won't open for you. :/

Yes, I have no delusions that this project will be complete in the forseeable future. But, that's the beauty of it. We can just build it at our leisure and enjoy it along the way. :)

Chuck

jonathan

OK, I had to temporarily shut down my family protection software.  It doesn't like Google stuff very much.  Can see clearly now.

The hard part is officially over.  Congrats!  Now you have the layout building disease.  Great progress so far.  I have gotten use to the garage layout.  There are advantages, like you can be a little messy.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

Wow!..that is one ambitious undertaking. Best wishes on the project. Please keep us informed.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

napa15

Will I get flogged for it being here? It's an HO layout, that happens to be themed around Thomas.. so it seems that it should fit in either, right?  :-\

Michigan Railfan

Don't worry. You won't be flagged. It's fine. Like you said it is still HO scale, but you may get more replies if you post this on the Thomas board too.  ;)

napa15

Not "flagged" - "flogged". :)

I'm not worried about responses. This thread is in response to my initial thread asking for some help and advice. Some people in that thread asked that I post pics/updates. Instead of burying them in that thread I started a new one in the same subject thread as the one I did originally. I'm aware of forum etiquette and such, believe me. We can argue all day long over which thread this belongs in. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter. My hope is that this thread topic will not get derailed any further. If I'm unwelcome to to make a post here where and how I choose, please let me know and I'll move along. Thank you.`

shining time

long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

PerfectPercy

You've got a good start. It is a lot easier building off of a layout that was pretty much planned out already. I'm completely freelancing mine and progress hasn't moved in a month or two.  :P When you have to plan it out yourself, you don't want mistakes, which is hard in many ways.  :( I believe you when you say you will finish it sooner than later. It is expensive! I get Atlas Code 100 and the switches are 15 bucks a pop! Flex-track isn't bad when bought in a group, but I completely understand. Scenery probably won't be a cheap date either.  :P ;D