News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Build a town

Started by scoutersama, July 26, 2010, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

scout-

Two 4x8 tables?  Why that's almost the scale equivalent of the milky way galaxy.  Seriously.  That's a lot of HO real estate.  Most layouts are a single 4x8, though of course many are much, much larger.
                                                                                                         -- D

scoutersama

yeah... I've seen pictures of the worlds largest model trainset. they have actually gotten it set up that every 45 minutes, it goes from day to night for fifteen minutes.

scoutersama

Anyone know where I can buy cheap buildings that would work for a fiftys era?

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: scoutersama on August 02, 2010, 10:51:38 PM
Anyone know where I can buy cheap buildings that would work for a fiftys era?

If you don't mind used buildings, try eBay. You might have to do some refurbishing of them.

I got some beautiful genuine Revell railroad buildings at a great price, and all they needed was a little dusting.  :)

scoutersama

I just finished building my mountain. Time to decide what I am going to do about my mine. Any suggestions? :)

scoutersama

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 1950's engine that would be used for mining.

RAM

A 2-8-0, 2-8-2, or a 2-6-6-2.  An Alco rs, or a gp7

jonathan

For my mine, I use an 0-6-0T and a 44 ton diesel to push cars around the mine.  The tank engine was probably no longer used by the 50s, but the original design was conceived for mine use.  Rule #1 applies.

To transport the coal from the mine to the junction, I use an 0-8-0 road switcher.  It was originally a 2-8-0, but I needed to shorted the loco a bit to fit the tight spaces.  I can also use an H16-44 baby trainmaster to transfer coal to the junction.  I like to take liberties with the whole transition era theme.

At the junction, the drag freight locos take over.  Use whatever big power suits your fancy for the loooong trains.  I use late steam or early diesels to fit my mood.  Usually I'm in the mood for steam. :)

Just something to chew on.

Regards,

Jonathan

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jonathan on September 07, 2010, 12:02:43 PM
For my mine, I use an 0-6-0T and a 44 ton diesel to push cars around the mine.  The tank engine was probably no longer used by the 50s, but the original design was conceived for mine use.  Rule #1 applies.

"This is my railroad"?  ;)

(Of course, Rule #2 is, "Refer to Rule #1.)

Joe323

Quote from: scoutersama on August 02, 2010, 10:51:38 PM
Anyone know where I can buy cheap buildings that would work for a fifty's era?

Train shows are great places to pick up used buildings.  At the last show I picked a 3 story apartment building and a Howard Johnsons restaurant, both I think would be appropriate to the 50's I think.  The HoJo at $35 wasn't cheap but I wanted it anyway.