News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Build a town

Started by scoutersama, July 26, 2010, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoutersama

I need some ideas on how to build a good size town. I am a big baseball fan. If anyone can help me with that, I would be very grateful.

Jim Banner

You need some ideas on how to build a good size town.

We need some ideas about your railroad first.
If your railroad set in 1880 or 2010 or somewhere in between?
Is the town old and dying or new and booming?
Is it an new England town, very spread out, or a western town, all clumped together?
What is the purpose of the town?  Fishing village on tide water?  To serve the local farmers?  A mining community?
Is it a permanent town expected to be there for years and years or is it a temporary town that will disappear after the mine runs out or the trees are all cut or...?
Does the town serve the railroad or does the railroad serve the town?
Do you want to model every single building in the town or just the ones on Main Street?  Or maybe just the railroad related buildings?
How much room do you have for your town?  A couple of square feet on a 4' x 8' layout can be turned into a very credible town while a town the size of a couple of sheets of plywood may look more like a pile of buildings than a functioning town.  But size is still important.

Once you answer these questions, then you will know what kinds of buildings your town needs.  After that, it is just a matter of putting down some roads and putting up some buildings.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

scoutersama

I am going for mid 20th century,industrial, permanent, and has a mine and some farms on the outskirts.

CNE Runner

Hmmm...a big baseball fan? I would check out Cooperstown, NY. Cooperstown is a wonderful little village - nestled alongside Otsego Lake. There was a railroad that served the village at one time (the line is abandoned and overgrown). Originally one could take a train from Cooperstown Junction (outside of Oneonta, NY) and travel to Cooperstown.

Just a thought,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Doneldon

scout-

If you're a baseball fan, put a baseball park in your town.  This can be anything from a bunch of kids playing in someone's yard, to a field in a city park to a minor or major league facility.  You might need quite a few expensive fans if you build a big stadium with a game going on.  (Unless the team is having a lousy season in which case you could go for the laugh and just have one fan and the hot dog guy.)

-- D

buzz

Hi scoutersama
The first thoughts that come to me are a baseball field, sports store.
given the size of town you describe I would suggest you need a place of worship what this actually is.
Is defiantly up to you but it will help suggest a reasonable population, I would also suggest the county sheriffs office and substantial looking bank again these buildings will help suggest population.
A few stores including at least one posh one and a bar for the business district multi occupant may again help with the population impression. a few houses and that should nail it.
a school would be nice but could be land hungry.
A memorial park this need not be big a few square inches with a couple of cannons and some sort of memorial and flag pole possibly part of a larger park.
I haven't mentioned rail or industry buildings as you seem to have a handle on the things you want in that area.
But basically you want buildings that help suggest a bigger population than the area you will have for town a couple of tenement blocks may help but they to me suggest a rougher part of town
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

scoutersama

All of this sounds real nice. I will try to incorporate things from what everyone has said. Does anyone know where I can get a revolutionary, or civil war era cannon at a fair price. I will say that I am a fan of the smoky mountain area, if there is anything anyone can say about that I would be grateful.

Jim Banner

For cannons, Google 'model ship detail parts'.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

buzz

Your cannons could come from Hat, Revel a few other toy soldier suppliers
that make 1/72 figures these will be close enough for HO
I would suggest since its only the cannons you want that Napoleonic or ACW cannons would do, something around a nine pound cannon should look right perhaps one of the figures painted bronze and plinthed could be the monument.
You should be able to pick up the mentioned brands at your local hobby or toy shop or from the internet if thats your thing.
With the mentioned brands and similar you will have to prime them with Auto plastic primer before painting them, barrel and ironwork black/gun metal sorry can't help with the correct color for the gun carriage.
I know the Brits where grey the French was an earthy green but no idea what color the  USA or CSA painted there gun carriage's
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

Doneldon

scout-

Model Expo has a wide variety of cannons, especially naval cannons.  I'm assuming you want one for your layout.  If you need a cannon for another purpose, check Model Expo anyway.  They have some 1:16 and 1:24 scale cannons that are terrific, both naval and land-based.  I use several of these in some Civil War classes I give.
                                                                                        -- D

OldTimer

While you're laying out your town streets, try not to line them up with the edges of the benchwork.   If your streets are at an angle, they will look longer and draw the eye away from the "end of the earth."
OT
Just workin' on the railroad.

jbsmith

We're Talkin about Baseball!

Even in HO scale a baseball field would be BIG.
Homeplate to center field wall on an adult sized field,,about 400ft +/-.  [ or about 8 50ft boxcars]
Distance between bases 90ft.
By adult sized, I mean Major/Minor League, American Legion, College, High Skool sized.

Little League/Grade School field,,cut the above distances in half as a general rule.

Sand Lot,,,any reasonably open space will do.

For night games,,,a couple of either these would be sweet
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/N_J_International_HO_N_1973_Light_Tower_with_p/nji-1973.htm
or
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/nji-1972.htm

Woodland Scenics even has some Baseball Players!
https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/A1869/page/7
and
https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/A1870/page/7

Doneldon

jb-

You're right, of course, on the size.  But I think a lot of compression is possible here.  Say five or six inches between bases, and maybe a foot of field beyond that.  Sure, even I could hit a homer in such a park, but I think it would be fine on a layout.  Or, one could have a ballpark in the distance, smaller yet, or even on the background.
                                                                                                    -- D

sparkyjay31

Like this ;D
http://sites.google.com/site/lewismodelrailroad/Home/summer-2010
Click on the little league field.  It's still under construction, but you get the idea.  It's 240 down the lines and 280' to dead center in HO scale.  And yes.  The flag sign lights up!
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

scoutersama

To let you know what kind of size I am dealing with, I have 2 4x8 tables with a conecting bridge. Just telling those wondering about size.