News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ TRACK - GREY VS BLACK

Started by XMASTRAIN, July 28, 2010, 10:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XMASTRAIN

I UNDERSTAND THAT BLACK IS STEEL AND GREY IS NICKEL WHICH CONDUCTS BETTER. TRUE? WOULD THAT MAKE THE GREY BETTER FOR LONGER LAYOUTS? ALSO, CAN YOU MIX GREY AND BLACK IN THE SAME LAYOUT? TO WHAT EFFECT? THANKS!

ABC

The Grey Nickel-Silver track is preferred over the black steel track because it conducts much better after oxidation of the rails; therefore requiring less cleaning (but you should still clean it periodically or if you notice performance issues). You can mix the track as much as you want, but if you mix it you may want to ballast the black track to match the grey or reballast it all to your liking. Also, I was experimenting with combining the track and found that the dirt and such spreads from the steel track, it makes all the track dirty faster, but when I apply a little bit of conductive lube (available from Bachmann E-Z Lube) it will keep the track operable for about 2 to 3 times as long as previous.

XMASTRAIN

THANK YOU!
REALLY APPRECIATE THE INPUT.  :)

Doneldon

XMAS-

The track is interchangable but I urge you to stick with the NS (grey roadbed) track if you continue with EZ Track.  Steel has issues with corrosion and soldering electric feeders which is not so true with NS rail.
                                                                                                              -- D

XMASTRAIN

THANKS.
I HAVE ONLY PURCHASED THE GREY BUT SOMEONE GAVE ME A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT OF BLACK & I WAS UNSURE WHETHER IT SHOULD BE MIXED.

NarrowMinded

I'd use the steel track and not worry to much about it, you can solder to it just fine, I just finished soldering some using the same flux core solder from radio shack that I use for NS

NM

jward

one solution would be to use the grey track for the mainlines, and the black track for yards and sidings, etc. that way, you keep the better conducting track on the heavily used lines, and the rest in places it won't be used as often.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

XMASTRAIN

Thanks guys..
I don't have any yards, sidings, etc., I only put it up at Christmas with my Dept 56 villages. I run 3 trains, each with approx 50-60 feet of track, all in a meandering single circular line. I think I do a nice job - there are tunnels, bridges and they cross each other - however nothing like the elaborate displays a REAL train guy creates! But I do thoroughly enjoy them every year and so do my friends.
Thanks again for all the input,
Carole

Jim Banner

Do you enjoy setting up your railroad with buildings, bridges, tunnels, etc.?  Obviously you do, or you wouldn't be doing it.
Do you enjoy running the trains and watching them run?  Same answer.
Do you like to share your enjoyment with others?  I suspect you do.

In my books, that already makes you a REAL train guy.  The rest is just details.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe323

Quote from: Jim Banner on July 29, 2010, 03:05:36 PM
Do you enjoy setting up your railroad with buildings, bridges, tunnels, etc.?  Obviously you do, or you wouldn't be doing it.
Do you enjoy running the trains and watching them run?  Same answer.
Do you like to share your enjoyment with others?  I suspect you do.

In my books, that already makes you a REAL train guy.  The rest is just details.

Jim

I second that

Joe

XMASTRAIN

Awwh, thanks guys.
I spent one month last year setting it all up last Christmas and enjoyed every minute. It never felt like a chore. Then I got to enjoy it for 2 months. As I was taking it down I was aready planning for this year!
Can't wait to start.
:) Carole

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On