Fixing my old Daylight GS4 4-8-4

Started by pilothyer, July 29, 2010, 05:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilothyer

Hello Members....I have an old Bachmann Plus HO Daylight 4446 GS4 4-8-4 Bachmann #11302 w/smoke & headlight. I bought it new about 13-14 years ago, still have box, unmailed warranty card, even the original smoke oil vial.  I got it out to run on a small layout for my son who is now 8 yrs old.
It ran fine and we enjoyed it a lot, however when I decided to remove it from the track to oil it the entire drive assembly separated. The plastic pieces that join the axles were so cracked that they no longer hold the axles together. I don't know what I should do. I have everything that came with it when I bought it, but the receipt I had tucked in the box is now totally blank. I looked in the order parts section at the no longer available drive wheel assembly. Does anyone know if I can obtain the little plastic pieces to fix this, one of them has the gear on it....thanks in advance for your reply......Jerry

ABC

You will have to send the loco in to the Bachmann Service department it will cost you one way shipping plus an upgrade fee of $50 (if I recall correctly) because now all GS-4s come with DCC and standard DC only is not an option. So for $50 plus shipping you will get a brand new loco.

pilothyer

ABC, Thanks very much for your reply and recommendation. This Loco only has about 5 hours running time tops. I bought it new and never ran it until this past Christmas. I have a NIB Daylight #4449 w/DCC Item #50201 and a NIB 1976 American Freedom Train #4449 w/DCC Item #50205.....they don't smoke  >:( and you can imagine how important that is for an 8 year old who loves the old SP Daylight. I would like to find those new plastic pieces and repair this one........or.....do you think the assembly with the wheels that is currently offered for the GS4 4-8-4 would work on this older model?
I eagerly await your reply and any alternative help you might offer.

ABC

You will have to call Bachmann's Parts & Service Dept. to inquire about the availability of the parts you are looking for.
Bachmann's Service Department is available Mon-Thurs 8-4, & Fri 8-12 (EST) at 800-356-3910 Ext. 328 or 329.
I do have a Bachmann Union Pacific 4-8-4 with smoke that is brand new from the overland limited set. If he is alright with a Union Pacific two-tone grey then let me know and maybe we can figure something out.

pilothyer

ABC.......Thanks again for your very kind offer, but we already have the Overland Limited Set, my son likes it because it smokes and has alot of cars and caboose, but nothing seems to be able to take the place of this old smoker. I have been able to use CA to repair the plastic pieces and it works OK but after running it a while the drive assembly comes apart when I remove it from the track for maintenance.....Thanks again....Jerry

pipefitter

Jerry, I'm guessing that what you're describing is the plastic gear that joins together the left and right axle sections with the wheels. And the gear drives the axle/wheels. Is that right? That has been a problem with quite a few models including some Bachmann as well as Proto 2000 (Life Like/Walthers) and the "Flea" power trucks on Walthers' Washington DC METRO subway cars >:( Regular contributer and very helpful contributer here Jim Banner has described a method of fixing cracked axle gears by slipping tightly fitted metal tubing over the cracked axle hubs to close up the crack. I am interested in this as I have a Proto 2000 BL-2 with cracked axle gears as well as Bachmann two-motor 44 ton locos and 70 ton locos with cracked axle gears.

I would first contact Bachmann service as others have suggested here to see what they have to offer. There is a company Northwest Shortline that provides replacement/repair gears for many third party locos. But please give Bachmann service a call first and let us know if they can solve your needs. Let us know! :) Your little guy is important and I'm guessing the problems with his loco can be repaired.

Best Regards,

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

pilothyer

Robert.......My son and I are both ecstatic at your reply, and I thank you very much for your encouraging word....My son and I have been checking on this since the first post asking for help. You're correct about the parts I am asking about...(the plastic parts that join the wheel axles, to isolate positive and negative sides) at least that is why I think they are plastic.
The look on my sons face when he read your post was almost the same as the day we unboxed this old SP Daylight for the first time last year. Again many thanks for your reply.......Jerry and Daniel

pilothyer

Members.....First off I want to thank everyone who tried to help me with this problem....It is sad to have to say this but the Bachmann parts and service department were about as much help as they have ever been in the past. Things have not changed much over the years as far as down right rudeness by most everyone I had the misfortune of talking to. I tried to call several times on Monday with great expectations but never even got a call back. I called this morning and everyone I talked to seemed more interested in simply "getting rid of the call" than trying to help me in any way. It is truly a sad day in time for a company that used to try to stimulate interest in this hobby.  :o   :(   >:( 

the Bach-man

Hi Jerry-
I have forwarded a report of this situation.
We WILL follow up.
the Bach-man

pilothyer

The Bach-Man:  Thank you very much for your concern in this matter. I look forward to the time when this problem can be resolved. I have been involved in this hobby for over 50 years now and I am passing this interest on to my son who is very excited about trains of all kinds. It may have been quite some time ago, but I know exactly how and why he is so fascinated with this fine, wholesome hobby......."I was once a barefoot boy" Again Thanks so much for your concern....Jerry

pilothyer

Hello Members one and all........I feel the need to post the following about my recent, new experience with The Bachmann Service and Parts Department. I want to thank "the Bach-man" first of all for your taking an interest in this situation and thereby inspiring the people at Bachmann to go above and beyond the normal call of duty in helping me and my son with our parts locating problem. There is another person that played a vital role in this mission.......She heads The Bachmann Customer Service Dept. and in the eyes of my 8 year old son, is a "true angel". I couldn't agree with him more. She is a lovely woman, so very kind and sincere about her work. Her name is Laura, and everything  she went through to obtain those elusive "unobtainium parts" we needed were clearly well above any of my expectations. I could never begin to thank her enough for what she did and I also want to express my gratitude to all involved. Our old SP Daylight is now running beautifully and the aroma of the apple pie smoke oil and the sparkle in my sons eye makes me proud to be a part of the wonderful Bachmann Train family........Thanks Bachmann..........Jerry   

Enkidu

I have the same problem but my train is much much older, I was going to order 502XX-H508X-00D01-1 but I am not sure if it compatible with my GS4.  I think my train is from the late 70's.