News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HOn3

Started by ThomasFan247, August 20, 2010, 02:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThomasFan247

What is the difference between HOn3 and HOn30 track? Does the rail spacing equal up to N Scale track?

ABC

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on August 20, 2010, 02:49:31 PM
What is the difference between HOn3 and HOn30 track? Does the rail spacing equal up to N Scale track?
HOn30 runs on N scale Track, HOn3 is a few mm wider.

ThomasFan247

Doneldon

TomFan-

HOn3 is for trains which run on three foot wide tracks; HOn30 is for trains which run on 30-inch tracks.  The scale is HO, i.e., 1:87, but the rails are obviously closer together.  As ABC said, HOn30 runs on regular HO track (that's not exactly right but it's close enough that it isn't worth manufacturing another size track) and HOn3 has it's own size track.

-- D

richg

Back in the 1970s I remember a few people modeling the Maine two foot railroads using Minitrains stuff that was called HOn2-1/2 scale.

Rich

Doneldon

rich-

Lots of people still model the Maine two-and-one-half footers, and even the Maine two-footers (HOn2).  That's getting to be pretty tiny but, of course, it's just the track which is undersize.  The scale is the same for all HO (1:87), regardless of track gauge.  Narrow gauge trains were smaller than full gauge but they couldn't be too diminutive because they had to handle full-size people and normal freight.

Now Japan has a new scale, T.  It uses three millimeter track, about the size of HOn2 1/2, except the trains are the same scale, 1:350, I think.  I have a set but haven't run it yet.  I understand the wheels are magnetic to prevent derailments but my reading of the manual is that the magnets are only important while the loco wheels are being cleaned.  Apparently this is very necessary in this tiny, lightweight scale.

-- D

ebtbob

Good Afternoon All,

I am enclosing two pix showing the difference in size between HO,  HOn3,  and N scale.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

Sorry all,  second pic did not come thru...let me try again.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Doneldon

bob-

A picture isworth a thousand words as your two excellent examples demonstrate.  Thanx for posting them.
                                                                                     -- D