News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

streets

Started by scoutersama, July 29, 2010, 04:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jonathan on July 30, 2010, 03:52:10 PM
I can't remember if I shared this or not, but here's the same area lit up at night:

Ran a bus wire under the town, drilled little holes in the "pavement" to feed the light wires, et viola...

I'm using the DC side of an old power pack to control the brightness.

Regards,

Jonathan

P.S.  Structures don't have interiors...   yet.

Wow! I can almost feel the mosquitoes biting.  :D

ebtnut

Keep in mind a few things - Macadam streets are not black, unless they were laid in the last day or two.  They quickly become kind of medium grey color.  Concrete streets are not grey.  Freshly pour concrete is an ivory white color.  These streets weather quickly to a sort of greyish-beige color.  Concrete streets are poured in large sections, with the joints separated by tar poured into the joints.  The sintra material I mentioned earlier is soft enough that you can use a rounded pointer, like a dead ball point pen, to scribe joints, cracks, bricks, and other details into the material. 

jonathan

Point taken.

I was going for a specific look to my olde towne.  My idea was a place out of the 30's or 40's that became neglected.

Then the city stepped in and rehabbed it to become a tourist trap.  Hence, all the buildings, although from an older era, look freshly painted.  Plus, the streets are still dark from fresh tar, and new style street lights.  All my business are those trinkety things you don't need, but buy on impulse.  The restaurants are overpriced, too.  There's even a hobby store down one of the alleys.

Eventually, I think I will age it, but for now, it looks kind of how I imagined it.

Still creatin'  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Doneldon

In a similar vein, sandpaper belts make good streets if you have longer straight runs because you can go so much farther before a joint.  Like any paper-based product, however, there is always the possibility of size changes with humidity changes.  Wet-and-dry sandpaper wouldn't have this problem.  Of course, that doesn't come in belts as one surely wouldn't want water around an electric tool.  Maybe someone makes it for air tools.

-- D