News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need Info & Help With DCC & Sound!

Started by New ChooChoo, August 01, 2010, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

I have a Bachmann On30 2-6-0 and want to install sound in it. I am new to all this DCC stuff and sure would appreciate some help with it.

First off the engine is DC. It has nothing. I have been looking at alot of things online and think I am getting to know somewhat about what I need. I have been looking at the Bachmann E-Z Command System. Seems it can run DC & DCC engines. I would like to install sound in the engine that I have. I assume that I can do this and NOT install DCC? If I do install DCC, is it just a matter of getting a sound decoder and plugging it into the DCC decoder and programming/running it? I dont really have to upgrade the engine to DCC? The decoders I like are the Tsunami Decoders.
   There is NO room in the engine,so I guess I would have to install everything in the tender? Oh and also, How large of a layout will the Bachmann E-Z Command System handle? I have two 6 x 8' tables connected with two 12' straight sections.......sort of a large oval "L" shaped track. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!!

Jim Banner

The Bachmann E-Z Command can indeed run both dc and DCC locomotives.  And it can operate the sound if fitted.  But it cannot program decoders beyond changing the operating address.  That is fine if you purchase a sound-on-board locomotive.  In that case, the decoder is already optimized to operate that particular type of locomotive.

If you install your own sound decoder, you will have to make a number of adjustments to get the best sound and performance.  For example, you will have to adjust the decoder so that the locomotive just starts moving and the chuff sound just starts up at the same throttle setting, and preferably at  a very low setting so that there is lots of adjustment range on the throttle.  These adjustments must be made using a DCC programmer, such as a DCC command station with programming capabilities, even if you want to run the locomotive on dc.  There used to be sound systems designed for dc operated locomotives in large scale, but even there the market has moved toward DCC replacements.

The Tsunami is one of the best decoders on the market.  But not just in its sound making capabilities.  It is also a superb motion controller as well.  When set up properly, they will allow you to start your locomotive so smoothly and realistically that it will about bring tears to your eyes.  But again the key words are "when set properly."

Yes, you would have to install the Tsunami, and a speaker, in the tender.  It is not so hard to do.

In terms of amount of track, the E-Z Command will handle a huge amount of track.  The trick is to get the power from the command station to the track and normally involves setting up a power bus to carry the power around the layout without having to worry about getting it across track joints.  This is true no matter what command control system you use.  Do a search on this forum for "bus" and lots of information should come up.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.