News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Most-historical railroad

Started by sour rails, May 24, 2007, 04:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sour rails

I've always thought that PRR was the most historical railway.  But here lately I'd have to say it is a toss-up among PRR, NYC, and Nickel Plate Road. I personally believe the Nickel Plate Road to be the most historical, even though the PRR is probably the most popular.
     I know that certain railroads have their own historical values in their region(such as the D&RG), but overall, what is the most historical railroad?
Just wanting to know.
Sam
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]

SteamGene

Define your terms.  The oldest common carrier in the U.S. was the Baltimore and Ohio.  The Nickle Plate emerged rather late in the second half of the 19th century, IIRC.   The oldest short line is the Strasburg.  The only remaining narrow gauge east of the Mississippi running on its own track is the East Broad Top. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

"Most Historical" is vauge at best. You say the Kansas City Southern or Florida East Coast since they have not been swallowed up by the mega-railroads. Or you could say the New York Central or New Haven, since both of them have survived mostly intact under Conrail and Metro-North/Amtrak, respectively. Or you could say the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac, since it still is used for its intended purpose "linking north and south"(Which is more than one could say of the PRR). Or you could say the PRR, since so much of its equipment is preserved...In short, one could think of a way to define their railroad as "Most Historical"(except perhaps the Milwaukee Road :'().
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

jayl1

I'd have to go with East Broad Top - left as it was in 1956 when it shut down - original track, power, & some buildings although the line isn't all in operation I believe all the mainline remains.

Secondly would be the Durango & Silverton & the Cumbres & Toltec - original routes with much original equipment.  Georgetowm Loop also now has an original engine running.

Of course it depends on your definition of historical value.

RAM

I move to Oklahoma in 1944.  Okla. City had 6 RRs.  All of them are gone. 2 folded, 2 became BNSF and 2 became UP.   In fact the only large rr left is the Kansas City Southern.  here are a handfull of short lines that are still holding on.  As they say Time Marches On.

SteamGene

RAM,
Which railroads went through Lawton/Ft. Sill?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

RAM

the Frisco and the Rock Island when to Fort Sill and Lawton.  The 1998 map shows BNSF and UP.   Today the UP may still go there, but I think the Stillwater Central now runs the old Frisco line. 

brad

The Canadian Pacific went from the Atlantic to the Pacific, led to the Confederation of our country, was used to stop a rebellion, brought tens of thousands of imigrants west to settle the prairies, and with them 100's of towns along the tracks sprang up. The "On to Ottawa" protest during the Depression rode the rails but was stopped in Winnipeg and became Canada's biggest and bloodiest civil unrest.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

THB-DAVE

There is no historical doubt that the worlds most the Historic Railroad is the CPR. Historians call it the worlds greatest engineering achievement. The imposible railroad built from coast to coast throught the worlds worst
terrain and in record time. It created a Nation, perserved it (54-40 or fight), moulded it and today maintains it. It was the ribbon of steel that bound the provinces together. There is no nation in History that is so connected to a railroad as Canada and the CPR were.

David

sour rails

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm sorry to sound so vague, but I was just wondering which rr would be considered the most historical.  However, most things receive historical value because of what happens around the railroad, but particularly what is remembered by the railfans.
thanks anyway,
Sam

Woody Elmore

Historically I believe the Camden and Amboy was first RR in the country. It may have been swallowed up by the B&O, which by all acounts, is the first railroad with any history to it.

Without a doubt, no railroad history can omit PRR and the UP.

How about "Most Hysterical" - I nominate Penn Central.

SteamGene

Sour Rails, I'm thinking that what you really mean is the most "interesting."  In that case, for me it would be the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific, followed by the St. Louis-San Francisco, the Kansas, Missouri, and Texas, and the East Broad Top. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Terry Toenges

I guess I could say the UP is the most historical railroad because of the number of "fallen flags" it absorbed.
Does any other RR have so many it it's past?
Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

CSX:
C&O (PM, VC, HV)
B&O
WM
L&N
the rest of the "Family Lines"
RF&P
one half of Conrail and all that went into Conrail: PRR, NYC, and many others. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

sour rails

Yes, the B&O was the first rr with any history to it.  Was it not also one of the first rr's in America?  Anyway, it does have quite a bit of history in that it was used for several presidential campaigns; and if I am not mistaken, it was also used for President Lincoln's funeral procession.
Thanks again, guys,
;) Sam