(Solved :) ) Rail trucks "split gear syndrome"

Started by pommie, August 03, 2010, 06:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pommie

I have just purchased 2 rail trucks and out of the six bevel gears guess how many were split, you got it, six  :(

I have put an inquiry in the B/mann service area about purchasing replacements as the warranty does not cover items sold outside USA/Canada, I am quite capable of doing the replacement, here's hoping that they will, after all they will fit in a standard envelope.

All I need now is for 'she who holds the purse strings' to ask why they are not being used  ::)

Cheers David

pommie

Just got a reply from the service department, they are sending replacements at no cost to myself  :)

Very nice and prompt, considering the time difference that amounts to same day service, my compliments to Laura  :-* and the rest of the team at service.

Cheers David

engr.todd

Is there a split gear problem with the side rod Davenport also? I have a split axle gear and was wondering what could be done. I suppose I can replace the gear if Bachmann will provide them. Any help on this? Will Bachmann replace it free of charge if I send it in? Would rather do it that way but do have quartering jigs if I have to do it myself.

Does Northwest Shortline make replacement gear sets for these engines?

Can I send the axles in to Bachmann and have them replaced? This engine doesn't even have 30 minutes on it.

My T boiler Shay is also starting to run jumpy? Is there a problem with split gears on these? I have one with sound and it "ran beautifully' but seems now to have started jumping, lunging, not smooth. All of my engines are basically new with less than 30 minutes run time. Help?

My Connie and Mogul run like Swiss clocks, couldn't be happier with them.

Bob
Keep em on the rail :-)

ChrisS

Yes. Shays and the railtrucks both have gear issues.

90Duck

I just got off the phone with customer service regarding a new railtruck that won't run due to split gears (it's a replacement of an earlier one that died).  The CS representative told me that they are no longer replacing bad railtrucks with new ones, and when I inquired she did not offer the option of replacement gears.  Instead, I was offered my choice of road names for a rail bus as a replacement for the truck.  I already have a bus, and I'm not sure I want another, so I'm not quite sure what to do at this point.  Does anyone know of NWSL may be making a metal replacement for the railtruck gear like they do for the shay?

ngbobme

Good Evening All,

I just attempted to run one of my two railtrucks and it just sits and spins its wheels. It hasn't been run for a while, but did just fine last time out. I removed the gear housing on the bottom and the gears looked, at first glance, to be fine. Is this the sort of issue that split gears produce? I didn't see any splits but then again, I didn't examine them too closely. Any response will be appreciated.

Bob Bennett

lvrr325

Spins it's wheels?  Something physical must be hanging up to keep it from moving.  A split gear might cause it to run and not turn the axle, but then because the split widens a gap between teeth it should also cause some binding issues.  

A rail bus in trade for the truck is not a bad deal, they generally bring more money on eBay, you could almost take the swap, sell it, buy another railtruck and come out ahead by a few bucks.   Personally I'd like to see a railbus kitbashed where the trailer and bus are combined into one unit with a more realistic appearance.