News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New auto coupler and Graham Farish

Started by dtpowell, August 03, 2010, 12:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtpowell

You've told us that the new automatic couplerwill be installed in many of the new US Loco's and cars soon. Do you or anyone else reading this forum know when to expect the first Graham Farish UK models equipped with them? I have a Deltic  on order and am interested purchasing a few more to be released UK items. I haven't heard anything more about them with the G.F. line.
Thanks.

keithwarltier

The announcement for the Baldwin 4-6-0 includes E-Z Mate Mark II couplers.  These are NMRA type magnetic knuckle couplers that do not fit into the NEM pockets of the UK models.  A version is being worked on to fit the NEM pockets announced in September 2009.  The release seems to have four stages:-

NMRA available with or fitted to locomotives
NMRA available separately
NEM available with or fitted to locomotives
NEM available separately

Could Mr Bach-man please confirm or correct these perceptions?  Thanks in advance.
Keith Warltier

the Bach-man

Dear Keith,
I have no information on UK developments; you'll have to contact Bachmann UK.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

keithwarltier

Dear Mr. Bach-man,
Could you please verify this means a different development path from the HO 78035 E-Z Mate Mark II NEM Coupler? 
Best regards,
Keith

keithwarltier

Dear Dtpowell,
My spectacular Graham Farish by Bachmann BR Standard Class 4MT 2-6-0 engine pulls like an elephant, has the shunting crawl of a tortoise and very good reviews on page 10 of the 4/10 N Gauge Journal and page 559 of the July 2010 Railway Modeller, but is marred by having to drag around an extra truck which has a toy train coupler at one end and a magnetic coupler at the other.  All my rolling stock, including many Graham Farish items, has magnetic couplers.  In other words, we have the same problem that was solved in HO Scale years ago by Product Code 78035, the E-Z Mate Mark II NEM Coupler,
www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=474

Your topic, started nine days ago, already has had more than a hundred views.  The 'New N Scale coupler pics' topic, started on March 14, 2010, has had over a thousand views.  The 'N scale couplers' topic, started by Frankv on June 27, 2010, contains a same day response that includes 'Look for them soon at your dealer'. If only Mr. Bach-man could be convinced that making the NMRA automatic couplers available separately would be appreciated by many US customers and be part of the momentum towards solving our NEM problem.
All the best,
Keith

the Bach-man

Gentlemen:
Convincing me is neither here nor there. Decisions regarding Bachmann UK are made entirely in the UK, not Philadelphia.
You'll have to address your concerns to them.
Thanks,
the Bach-man

keithwarltier

Dear Mr. Bach-man,
The convincing is a US matter concerning the availability of the NMRA  couplers in the US.
Regards,
Keith

ABC

There is currently about 375 million residents combined between the U.S. and Canada, as much as Bachmann U.S.A. wants to listen to all its customers, there are millions of them and it would be impossible to keep track of everything suggested on this or that form, but I'm sure they will do their best to try and have the best products possible and satisfy as many people possible of their customer base as they have done since 1833.

keithwarltier

Dear ABC,
Thank you for your comments. Does their replication on the K4 topic imply their applicability, to some degree, to most replies to most topics? Note the HO K4 has magnetic couplers.

Having superb Graham Farish by Bachmann DCC engines degraded by toy train couplers is disappointing. I am continuing contact with Bachmann Europe as suggested by Mr Bach-man. The requirement seems to be an N scale version of
Product Code 78035, the E-Z Mate Mark II NEM Coupler,
www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=474

I believe the US availability of the NMRA couplers to US customers will help the momentum towards providing the NEM coupler.
Cheers,
Keith

dtpowell

Thanks you keithwarltier for your comments on the new coupler. I went ahead and placed a preorder for the new SO region Mk1 carriages anyway. I'll have to switch out the couplers later. I'm just not too happy with the idea of switching them out on a class 24 diesel. I The cars, I'm thinking, shouldn't be too hard. if all else fails with the diesel. I think I'll remove the rapido and connect the the loco with the brake second with a large staple to represent the screw/hook coupling. (Just kidding here, although somewhat prototypical.)

What I am surprised about with this posting is the while you able to help my question. Bachmann was only able to refer us to the UK site. That's fine, but I would think with as large a "Global" company as Kader is they don't seem to have a customer service Liason who is knowledgeable across the various product lines. The level of questions in this forum is not so great in my opinion that a simple question concerning a product that seems to share engineering couldn't be answered without passing it on to the other group. The old right foot doesn't know what the left...Any way. that's only my opinion. No matter when the NEM version is introduced, I extremely happy Bachmann is and am grateful.

Thaks again keithwarltier, and all who comented.
Dave

keithwarltier

Dave, I agree with your August 16, 2010 comments.  A DCC activated engine coupler might be a bit better than the large staple.  Bachmann has a high quality product line to be proud of.  The emails from Dennis.Lovett@bachmann-europe.co.uk are very courteous and we are fortunate in being able to 'Ask the Bach Man'.  I will continue purchasing Graham Farish DCC engines and rolling stock while waiting for the NEM couplers.
All the best,
Keith