News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bowser conversion kit for 4-8-4 Northern?

Started by FWDGUY, May 24, 2007, 08:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWDGUY

6-3206 Replacement Mechanism Kits For Bachmann Locomotives -- For 4-8-4 Northern w/Long Tender @69.95

Above is what I found in the Walthers catalog, would this kit be for conversion of a standard CB&Q Northern HO 4-8-4 with 52 Tender?

How easy is it to switch out? Is the Bowser kit already built and just needs to be swaped? Does it effect the headlight or smoke unit?

Has anyone done this and the reviews of the the difference in operation?

Thanks,

Mark

SteamGene

The Bowser kit for the old Bachmann Northerns will make them perform correctly.  The new Northerns don't need the Bowser kit.
'Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

japasha

I have four Northerns converted, two Daylights and two Santa Fe.

The kits are easy to assemble, the hardest part is to seperate the parts needed from the Bachmann locomotive. Read the instructions first, follow the steps and the locomtive will be very nice.

For those that have the 2-10-4 locomotives, a fellow near Buffalo makes conversion for those.

Virginian

The conversions are not that difficult IF you are familiar with what is required to build any Bowser steam engine.  You have to put the frame, valve gear, and rods together, with rivets where required.  You have to file and de-flash the castings.  You have to paint it.
Having said all that, it's an excellent cheap fix for most especially the Santa Fe 2900 Northern (even the ones labelled for CB&Q), since there are no other available models of that loco that I know of.  The end results that I have (I redid an older pancake motored Bachmann J) or have seen run quite well.
It is no where near a "drop-in" however.
"What could have happened... did."

FWDGUY

Is it best to paint before assembly or after? Is it easier to spray paint it or brush? Also is flat black the best choice or color? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,

Mark

Tim

Mark

Before you paint anything, completely assemble and test run
the chassie.

Disasemble and clean with vinegar, the acid in the vinegar will
cause a slight etching of the zamak parts.

Zamak oxidizes rapidly causing the paint to flake off.  So as soon
as you get the parts cleaned and dryed, Paint.

Use a primer on the zamak parts, Floquil gray primer has always
worked well for me.

As for the color, unless you plan to repaint the entire loco, try to
match the superstructure color.  Engine Black ?

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

Nigel

Quote from: FWDGUY on May 25, 2007, 04:25:59 PM
Is it best to paint before assembly or after? Is it easier to spray paint it or brush? Also is flat black the best choice or color? Sorry for all the questions.

Mark;

Read:

http://www.bowser-trains.com/misc/building_tips/building_kits.htm

and

http://www.bowser-trains.com/hoemrrs/mechanisms/3_206/3_206.htm

where you can download the complete instructions.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

FWDGUY

Thanks for all the advice and help. I am thinking of ordering through Walthers, there list price is 69.95. Anyone know of a better price through another online store they recommend?

Thanks,

Mark

cmgn9712

Why not go right to Bowser. That way if you need parts or have a problem, you already have a connection. They are very helpful!

Woody Elmore

Bowser can supply the valve gear assembled. That is the trickiest part of the assembly.  You might be able to buy the whole mechanism assembled.

Bowser engines run very well. I've owned about 15 of them in the last 40 years

The frame should be assembled and run in a little before painting. Once you get it to roll freely with the side rods attached you can disassemble and paint the frame. I have seen the frames chemically blackened - works better than paint.

I would buy directly from Bowser. Bowser is a class company and they go out of their way to be helpful.

FWDGUY

Ok, 2 years later I just ordered the Bowser 356 conversion kit.

A few questions. How is the headlight affected? Smoke unit? Do they need to be reattached to the Bowser unit and how is this done.

Also what is envolved to remove the gear assembly from the old Bachmann unit? Does it come off in one piece?

Thanks,

Mark