News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Prairie 2-6-2 access to light bulb

Started by Fernando, August 11, 2010, 07:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernando

I've bought a Bachmann Prairie 2-6-2 about six or seven years ago. It runs fine, no problem. However, I have to replace the light bulb. To do that I think one have to remove the body shell from the chassis. I've pulled a rear screw and that area is loose, but not the front section. Something is holding it, don't know what. The diagram doesn't help at all. I've read in a post that a bachmann prairie has a couple of ears inside the front section which are engaging the body and it must be spread to release the chassis. Will it be the case?. As I'm afraid of break something, your help would be appreciate.

Thank you,

Fernando

jonathan

Greetings, Fernando.

I don't own a Prairie Loco.  However, I have been studying the diagrams of the 0-6-0 switcher, Prairie and Mogul.  They are all basically the same locomotive with lead or trailing trucks added or left off.

So far, with all the Bachmann steamers I own, one is required to slide the shell forward to release it.  It usually requires some gentle jiggling as mine have all been a tight fit, but I have managed to release the shells on all my Bachmann steamers without breaking anything.

You locomotive is an older model, so there may be a few differences.  Check under the leading truck.  There may be a screw hidden under there.  Also, check to see if you need to release any steps or piping in the front of the loco.  The consolidations have front steps that must be released from their holes before you can remove the shell.  The tank engine has a pair of boiler stand pipes that have to be released before the shell will come off.

Because your locomotive is older, things might have "settled" and become a bit sticky. 

Diesels usually have tabs that need to be spread.  So far, I have not seen a steamer that had spreading tabs.  Anything is possible.

Wish I could be more help.

Regards,

Jonathan

jbsmith

chart,,
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/56501.pdf

Jonathan is right, 0-6-0, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2 are the same engine.
they still use a split frame design , but that is another topic.

On the shell there are some tabs up front by the smoke box and cylinders.
I usually just take a small precision screwdriver, placed between the cylinder and the main frame
to help pry the tabs away from the frame.
A good nearby light helps to see it all.
Unless you have done this before,,this lightbulb is not an easy one to fix. At least it did not Look like
it would be the last time i had one of mine taken apart.
The bulb is IN the frame, and is just a bulb with two very fine wire leads.One wire for each side of the split frame. Crude yes,but it works.

Unfortunately the bulb is not a simple socket type.

Fernando

Well, I thank you both, Jonathan and Jbsmith. It's done and just like Jbsmith said: one has to insert a small sharp tool between the cylinder and the main frame to release the shell from the chassis. It didn't work, at least in my case, only sliding the shell forward and aplying some jiggling. About the light bulb, it has in fact two fine wire leads but I think it can be replaced with no major problems. After all, tudo jóia or, in another words, everything's all right.

Fernando

jonathan

Glad JB could help with the right answer.

It is always great to learn something from those who have gone before.

Regards,

Jonathan