News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

45 & 70 ton switchers as made by Bachmann

Started by buzz, August 07, 2010, 08:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

Hi
What year where the prototypes for these two locomotives first built??
And when where they scrapped or are there still some out in the real world??
I need to know so I can see if I can stretch time things a bit to include these small locos.
Not sure any one makes anything earlier in the way of small diesel locos
as RTR or easy kit.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished

ebtbob

Why not just go ahead and use these engines.    So what if you are modeling 2010 or whatever.....a company needed a small engine to work in their facility and was able to pick one up cheap and rehab it.   GO FOR IT!!
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

buzz

Hi ebtbob
I am actually working a bit earlier than that on my RR they would probably be brand new??.
The loco I have is an 0-6-0 switcher with short haul tender next loco just about have the cash for it is a modernized 4-4-0.
There don't seem to be any early diesel locos about so its a question of, How far in the future they are all six pieces of my rolling stock is old time short cars which I think match the have and planned next loco.
Its the small size that caught my attention first, as I don't have a lot of room to play with.
Oh! and just a Small personal taste thing there available in Red ;D
regards John

Frisco

Hi, the 70 tonner was built between 1942 and 1955, although the earliest models were built with a center-cab. I don't know when they switched over the the end cab version that Bachmann models. The 45 tonner was built between 1940 and 1956. Several 70 tonners are still in service. All the existing 45 ton locomotives are in museums or on tourist railroads.
For other diesels from a similar period there's the Roundhouse 40 ton model, which is now pretty hard to find and demands about $100 on a certain auction site. Grandt Line offers a kit for a locomotive that's between 20-25 tons.
For earlier diesels, the only option you have (that I can think of) would be the Roundhouse box cab. Again out of production for a while, and it needs quite a bit of drive train work to get it to run well.
Hope this helps!
Ryan

NMWTRR

Model Railroader put out an interesting special magazine called "Model RRs of the 1950s"

In it there was a table that indicated the complete dieselization of some of the major carriers.  Most occurred mid 50s and were complete by 1960.

So as long as you are modeling in that period it makes sense to have both your steam engine and your brand new diesels.

BTW I model this era for that very reason!

Hope this helps.

jward

here are some early diesels you might consider.....

atlas made an hh660, which was the forerunner of the s1 and s3. there was also an hh900/1000 but i don't think anybody makes them in HO. all the hh series were pre ww2.

stewart makes several baldwin switchers including vo series. the vo660 and vo1000 were ww2 era switchers.

kato made an emd nw2, and walthers made an emd sw1. these were both produced from 1939 till the late 1940s.

atlas has made the s2 and s4 from alco, along with the rs1 road switcher. the real ones were produced from 1940 on (rs1 and s2. s2 was upgraded to s4 in 1950.)

proto2000 made the alco s1/s3, the s1s were 1940-1950, the s3s after 1950.

as you can see, there are alot of ww2 era switchers available.

as for road power, bachmann makes the fta and ftb (1939-1945),
proto made the alco dl109 which was about 1940-1945. they also made the emd e6, any of the slant nosed e's like the e3 and e6 were ww2 era locomotives.the other diesel builders didn't market road sized locomotives until after ww2.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

buzz

Hi Guys
These all seem a bit modern :(
A hunt around the web came up with a Grandt line I hope I have the name right.
HO scale 25t box cab Kit at $50US, I think for a std gauge one what period would they be.
Has any one built one of these kits how hard are they to get a good result with.
I had the daft idea of semi permanently coupling a powered and dummy kit together
with the dummy providing extra pick up.
They are only a tiny looking thing that I suspect could be prone to pick up problems over switches
As its a kit it can be any color I like ;D
The possibly low haulage ability would not be a problem on my small railroad
regards John

richg

GE started building 25 ton diesels around 1938. Results of a search for grandt line 25 ton.

"GE began building small, diesel electric, 20-25 ton locomotives in 1938. Between 1938 and 1974, 550 locomotives in the 20-50 ton size range had been built. In 1956, GE sold the under-25T business to Rogers Brothers of Albion PA; but continued to offer 25 ton and larger industrial locomotives

Rich

ABC

If you want a RTR loco consider the MDC EMD Model 40 "Critter" as seen below.

They are usually on ebay about every 3 weeks and can be found at train shows occasionally.

Joe323

I use the GE 70 tonner for my 70s era layout.  it does double duty as a yard switcher and to pull a small MOW train.

richg

Quote from: buzz on August 07, 2010, 12:05:06 PM
Hi ebtbob
I am actually working a bit earlier than that on my RR they would probably be brand new??.
The loco I have is an 0-6-0 switcher with short haul tender next loco just about have the cash for it is a modernized 4-4-0.
There don't seem to be any early diesel locos about so its a question of, How far in the future they are all six pieces of my rolling stock is old time short cars which I think match the have and planned next loco.
Its the small size that caught my attention first, as I don't have a lot of room to play with.
Oh! and just a Small personal taste thing there available in Red ;D
regards John

Below is a link to early box cab diesels. Looks like 1926. The old MDC/RoundHouse box cab looks quite like the ones in the photos. You can find these on ebay but are quite noisy. Mine has a Digitrax decoder in it and sounds quite good when running.

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr044.htm

Don't forget, as Yampa Bob said more than once, it is your railroad.

Rich