News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

S2 turbine running hot.

Started by jwomble, August 06, 2010, 05:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwomble

Have a new Williams S2 steam turbine purchased this week that now has  less than 3 hours run time. Seems to run very warm even hot. After running it for about 45 minutes could smell that burning electronics smell and the flywheel becomes too hot to touch but it still runs ok. Is this normal?

the Bach-man

Dear JW,
I have run a turbine on our York display for eight hours at a clip, and it's never run hot.
Please contact the service department.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

DominicMazoch

jwomble

3rail

JW,

What are you using as a transformer?

Regards,

3rail

jwomble

For power I'm using a MRC Dual Power O27 that had worked fine with all brands except for MTH PS2 locomtives. Please don't tell me its the transformer because if it is think I should get my money back. This transformer has worked fine with can motors and circuit boards from Lionel, K-Line , Atlas and even MTH PS1 locomotives. I know this MRC model clips the AC wave form as part of controlling the speed. Guess I should tell Bachmann what transformer is being used.

3rail

JW,

The Dual Power has enough power to run the locomotive, so I can't say with certainty that this is causing the problem.  However, you are correct in that this transformer has a very choppy sinewave. This caused many problems with most of the manufacturers when this transformer was introduced.  The choppy waveform caused many sound systems (including ours) to misbehave. MRC now makes a very good transformer Pure Power.  I recommend trying a transformer with a pure or very smooth sinewave to see if the overheating goes away.

Regards,

3rail

phillyreading

I have the slightly older version of the S-2 by Williams and it runs great with a Lionel post war 275 watt ZW or an MTH Z-1000 transformer.
Not sure about MRC, but I was told to stay away from MRC for O gauge power from a few local hobby shops in southeast Florida.

Lee F.