News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

O scale vs O 27 scale

Started by Bill Baker, August 08, 2010, 09:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

Yesterday I ran across a yard sale where a guy was sellling a mixture of O scale trains and O 27 scale.  His track was primarily O27.  Can an O gauge engine run on O 27 track?  Also is it possible to mix the two different gauge tracks together?
Bill

richg

Details in the below link. Save the link to Favorites. I found this in a search for model train scale comparison.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Model-Train-Scale---A-Simple-Comparison&id=3164322

Rich

Bill Baker

Bingo!  Thanks Rich, that's exactly what I was looking for.  Not to be a bragger, but the guy had two Lionel steamers, one in O gauge, the other in O27, two Erie Built diesel A units, 5 Freight cars, 3 Lionel stream lined passenger cars and 3 pre WW2 passenger cars all for $100.00.  I think I hit a glory hole!
Bill

richg

You got bragging rights. Good shopping.

About 1953 when I was a kid, a friend came over to my house with his O scale diesels. I remember his locos did not like my track on curves.

Rich

Doneldon

Bill-

It sounds like you got a particularly good buy, especially if everything works.  Heck, you got a good buy even if you have to do some repairs!
                                                                                             -- D

tac

Quote from: richg on August 08, 2010, 10:34:04 AM
Details in the below link. Save the link to Favorites. I found this in a search for model train scale comparison.

Rich

Please note that there ARE mistakes in the definitions - US n scale is 1/160, NOT 1/16, and Z scale is 1/220, NOT 1/22.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

richg

Quote from: tac on August 09, 2010, 08:59:55 AM
Quote from: richg on August 08, 2010, 10:34:04 AM

Rich

Please note that there ARE mistakes in the definitions - US n scale is 1/160, NOT 1/16, and Z scale is 1/220, NOT 1/22.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Yeah, thanks for bringing that up. I saw the mistakes after but have not had time to say anything.
I have found after some years of seearching the 'Net, you have to check things out.
At the time I was only looking forthe O and 0-27 scales.

Rich

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

I've heard O-27 unkindly called Sw80" (or Sw6-2/3'), 

which translates into 1:64 scale locos and cars running on 1.25" gauge track.

n = narrower than standard gauge (< 56-1/2" prototype)

w = wider than standard gauge (> 56-1/2" prototype)

Some post-war Lionel steamers were sold under 2 different road numbers, one for O gauge, the other for O-27 gauge.  (646/2046, e.g.)

Most O gauge locos do need the bigger 31" diameter curves, though.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Woody Elmore

Joe - there were more differences with 0-27 than just track diameter. They had a line called "scout " which had cheaper cars that in some cases were also smaller. For example there is the 6454 box car - smaller than the O Gauge 6464 boxcar.

I believe the cheaper line was an offshoot of the Ives line that Lionel got when Ives went bankrupt.

A friend found O and O-27 gauge trains at several garage sales and wanted to run them together. I told him to run everything on O gauge track.

ryeguyisme

I still have my first postwar engine, which happens to be a scout engine(haha wouldn't you know) and they're relatively smaller in comparison to my 2046 and other O scale locomotives even the Adriatics dwarf them