dynamis wireless system with DCC command center

Started by Kris Everett, August 06, 2010, 12:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris Everett

i have a question. I'm going to buy the dynamis system, i know it works the same way as the DCC command center. so here come my question

in going to have a yard that is isolated from the rest of the track via "the insulated gap track" so on the main track the dynamis system will do the work, but in the yard the DCC command center will be at work. so what i would like to know is, do u have to use the same address on both controller's or can i have different address for the yard and the main track?

thx,
   kris

Jim Banner

DCC addresses are resident in the decoders inside the locomotives, not in the track.  So taking a locomotive from your main lines, controlled by a Dynamis, and putting it on a yard track, controlled by an E-Z Command, does not change the locomotive's address.  If you brought your locomotive to my house you would still have to use the same address for it as you did at home, assuming you did not reprogram the decoder.

E-Z Command works with addresses 1 to 9 and sometimes 10.  These are the first 10 short addresses.  Dynamis works with all addresses from 1 to 9999 which include both long and short addresses.  If a locomotive is run on your main line using a long address, you will have to reprogram it to a short address in order to run it in a yard controlled by an E-Z Command.  This reprogramming can be done with either machine.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

Kris-

There's no reason why you can't use your dynamis for the whole layout.
                                                                                                       -- D

Jim Banner

I agree.  There is no reason you CANNOT use the Dynamis for the whole layout but I can think of two reasons why you MIGHT not want to:

(1) If the Dynamis is marginal on power for the number and type of main line trains that you want to run.  The extra power from the E-Z Command might let you run the yard without it over loading the Dynamis.  Even though a booster for the Dynamis might be a better choice, I can think of various reasons why you might not want to invest in one.

(2) Yards, with a myriad of turnouts, are more likely to short out than any other trackage on the layout.  With two command stations, you would not have to worry about a short in the yard shutting down the whole layout.  Using the Dynamis along with a booster and a power manager or series of electronic circuit breakers might be slightly easier to operate but would definitely increase the cost considerably.

If you use two command stations, you can set up a transfer track to allow trains to travel from one district to the other.  This transfer track should consist of three isolated blocks of tracks end to end.  The center block can be switched to one or the other command station and the end blocks can be switched to match the center block or turned off to act as a safety block between districts.  This is exactly the same as a transfer section between the dc and DCC parts of a dual power layout.   More details are available if you need them.

Jim

Kris Everett

got my dang brain working now and it's not even time for school yet. ;D

ok im going to have 2 tracks going to the yard  one as an express track from my slope and the other as a slow track. so im going to have crossovers from the express track over to the slow track. both track are going to run next to each other via. 3' tracks then converge at a right hand crossover  'So express over to slow.' slow continues in to the yard about 18" away from the cross over is going to be the transfer tracks 'insulaed gap track' 3 of them. then it continues in to the yard on the command center. when it leaves the yard the track will curve around the entire yard where it will meet 3 more transfer tracks. i hope im on the right "track" circuit breakers where can i find those, and how do i intergrate them into the track and where do i put them?

Quote from: Jim Banner on August 07, 2010, 04:41:47 PM
  Even though a booster for the Dynamis might be a better choice, I can think of various reasons why you might not want to invest in one.
What do u mean by that?

NEXT.

This transfer track should consist of three isolated blocks of tracks end to end.  The center block can be switched to one or the other command station and the end blocks can be switched to match the center block or turned off to act as a safety block between districts. 
That would be the insulated gap track, yes? how would u go about tranfering in the blocks?

thanks for all the help again.

Kris

Jim Banner

Here is a diagram that illustrates the concept of using three blocks or sections to move from one power system to another.

The transfer track proper sits between two guard sections.  If the train is approaching from the left, the four pole double throw switch would be thrown to the left, powering up the left hand guard section and the transfer section with power source A, the same source that is powering the train.  When the locomotive(s) reach the transfer section, the switch is thrown to the right.  Now the transfer section is power by power source B.  So is the right hand guard section, allowing the train to move smoothly across it to the right.  At the same time, all power is removed from the left hand guard section so that power cannot accidentally be conducted from one power source to the other by metal wheels, lighted passenger cars, etc.  No matter which way the switch is thrown, there is always dead track between the two power sources and all that happens is that the train stops unexpectedly.  Much less exciting than smoke pouring out of a command station.  Also much less expensive.

The guard sections should be longer than your longest lighted passenger car or longest locomotive.  The transfer section should be longer than your longest locomotive consist to avoid having to drag locomotives through the guard section.  A bit longer will give you a bit more time to throw the switch when all the locomotives are in the transfer section. 

Quote from: Kris Everett on August 09, 2010, 03:51:38 PM

Even though a booster for the Dynamis might be a better choice, I can think of various reasons why you might not want to invest in one.
What do u mean by that?

Nothing too deep or profound.  If your railroad is like most, funding problems may force you to prioritize your purchases.  If your two command stations can run the railroad between them, then something other than a booster may become higher priority.  Plus it is not just the cost of a booster.  Adding circuit breaker(s) to prevent shorts from shutting down the whole layout comes free if you use two command stations but is an add on if you power everything from a single booster.  Breakers for DCC are not the same as the breakers in a house service entrance.  Have a look at this link which explains the Power Shield sold by Tony's.  Another maker is Digitrax who calls their version a Power Manager.

http://www.tonystrains.com/technews/powershield_x.htm

My apologies to your brain if I got it working before it really had to.  At least it was working on fun things like model railroad problems.

Jim

Doneldon

Kris-

It isn't necessary to use Bachmann's insulated track sections, which are pretty costly.  You can just use insulated rail joiners or cut gaps through both rails of regular track with a razor saw.  You'll save good money.
                                                                                        -- D

Kris Everett

ok cool i will try that.

my brain thx you, just woke up so it's still waking up but i will come back and look at the more harder suff when i wake up more  ;)