News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

identifying trains

Started by CromDubh, May 23, 2007, 03:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CromDubh

Having just been given a couple of trains, I would like to fit Kadee couplers to them. Unfortunately being new to North American railways, I am unsure if the trains in question are F7 or F9's. The trains in question are from the early 80's I believe one is a Burlington Northern #9710 and the other is  CP Rail #1412 Has anyone come across these or had experience in fitting Kadee couplers to them?

ebtbob

Cromdubh,

Is there anyway you can identify the manufacturer for us?   If they are Athearn,   they would likely have a plastic popoff coupler box cover.  Once removed,  you would only have to swap out the installed coupler and put in the KD of choice.   The same would go for most engines with a screw on type coupler box cover.   If you are looking for the close coupling look then I would search out the Kadee website.   Any any case,  manufacturer identity will be a great help.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

bevernie

Now, isn't this the same as the problem that I was trying to address in the thread "who made this PART" ?? To some of us, it can be a real problem.
Of course, it's probably because we're just poor stupid folks who can't afford the "real" trains who ALWAYS identify their equipment!!
                                                                                                    THANX!!
                                                                                                      Ernie
                                                                                              Hendersonville
                                                                                                         NC
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

CromDubh

The Engines have Bachmann Hong Kong Stamped on the bottom. They are identical other than the paintjobs, but have seen them listed on ebay as F7's and as F9's. According to Kadees website there is a different kit depending on which model it is

msowsun

Must be an F9. I suppose the other one is too.

CromDubh

Thanks...at least now I can order the right kit for it...now the big question is can I manage to fit the coupler without butchering it too much...  ;D

lanny

Hi,

I don't think you will have much problem getting the Kadee to fit your F units. Kadee's are very adaptable to almost any kind of model locomotive or rolling stock.

Kadee #5 is the most common, and if you have one, I would start with that. I've never convereted a Bachmann F unit to Kadee ... but Bachmann would, I think be a mfg like Athearn and others, that would make Kadee conversion a pretty simple thing.

best wishes in your conversion.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler