News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Are Bachmann turnout DCC friendly?

Started by Hdymek, May 25, 2007, 02:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hdymek

I’m new to model railroading.  I just purchased a MRC PRODIGY ADVANCE 2 "SQUARED" DCC controller.  I was using the E Z Command DCC controller.  I have a number of switches and turnout.  The MRC product allows you to program switches.  Can I use my current switches with this setup in program mode?  Or do I have to use an AC controller and the remote to mechanically switch?
So I guess what I am asking is the Bachemann turnouts and switches DCC friendly?

WoundedBear

I'm going to take a stab at this and see if I've learned anything in the past few months......anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you are confusing terms.....DCC friendly in turnout terms, means insulated frogs.....less chance of shorts.

What you are trying to do is OPERATE your switches with DCC.....this can be done by adding stationary decoders to each switch machine. I'm not totally sure if B-mann turnouts allow this but other manufacturers do.

You then address each turnout like you would a loco...in programming mode.....then call up the switch you want and hit the button to throw the points.

What you have now is similar to my setup.....DCC for locos and an old DC power pack to run the switch machines. It works, and is cheaper than buying all those decoders.

Sid.

Hdymek

Hi Sid,

Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what I am trying to do program my Bacheman switch with my new DCC controller.  I have the same setup as you currently, using the AC power from an older DC controller to engage the switches one at a time.  This new Prodigy controller alows you to program a host of switches and plan out a route.  So I guess If I wanted to go that way I would have to purchase a decoder for each switch! Is that the way you see it?

Henry  :)

Hunt

What you are not yet familiar with is there are three general types of decoders,
  •   Mobile
  •   Function/sound only
  •   Stationary (a.k.a. Accessory)

Not all DCC command stations can address a stationary decoder. (The Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center can not address a stationary decoder).

You must select a stationary decoder made to control the type of switch machine (examples: bi-polar, snap switches or slow motion machines) used to move the Point-Rails of a turnout.  Some stationary decoders can operate more than one type of switch machine and more than one switch machine.

Start your learning curve by reading about the types of stationary decoders made by Digitrax.
http://www.digitrax.com/menu_statdecoders.php
Then move on to  http://www.lenz.com/products/decoders/accessory/index.htm
Note the LS-150 NMRA DCC Switch Machine Decoder.

Above just a sample of the stationary decoders. There are other manufacturers’ stationary decoders available.

My definition,
DCC Friendly Turnout â€" A turnout less prone to create a short circuit due to its construction and electrical features as metal wheels of a train controlled by DCC roll through the turnout.

Caveat -- If you have researched one DCC system or component (example- a decoder) and think all the others are the same â€" you are mistaken!

Now your question, "Are Bachmann turnout DCC friendly? "

What say you Bach-man?  ;D

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Our turnouts are indeed DCC friendly, although they are not yet DCC controllable.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hunt

Quote from: the Bach-man on May 25, 2007, 11:06:41 PM
Dear All,
Our turnouts are indeed DCC friendly, although they are not yet DCC controllable.
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Bachmann E-Z Track Turnouts are controllable from a DCC command station.  This is possible by using any DCC command station that can address a stationary decoder and a stationary decoder compatible with the type switch machine used in the Bachmann E-Z Track turnout.

Bach-man,

The Bachmann E-Z Track turnout use low current, twin-coil snap action switch machine?

Hdymek

Thanks to all who replied to this post.  I have a lot to learn but with experienced people here on this board and a little reading I look forward to years of fun.

Thanks again,

Henry